Free genealogy resources in Sheffield?

zerocool

Hi R6, a bit more info on the Garratts, my great, great grand father was called Charles born march 1830, married Charlotte Joesbury. Great grand father was called John born 1855 , married Martha Lockwood . My grand father was called John Arthur born 1880 , my grand mother was called Clara Marriott , they lived at 205 Pearl St. Is there a connection ? It seems very likely. My grand dad was knocked down and killed by a lorry in 1934 , I was 2 at the time. When he died he was living at 116 Hatfield House Lane , Shiregreen.

Hi R6, a bit more info on the Garratts, my great, great grand father was called Charles born march 1830, married Charlotte Joesbury. Great grand father was called John born 1855 , married Martha Lockwood . My grand father was called John Arthur born 1880 , my grand mother was called Clara Marriott , they lived at 205 Pearl St. Is there a connection ? It seems very likely. My grand dad was knocked down and killed by a lorry in 1934 , I was 2 at the time. When he died he was living at 116 Hatfield House Lane , Shiregreen.

Hi Janner,

Not that I can see at the moment, the only John Garrett( Garratt Ancesry's Spelling) in the 1861 census has a father called John too. Do you have the census reference for Charles born 1830. Were all your Garretts born in Sheffield? After Red and Tuppie help the other day I believe my Charles Garrett originally came from Wakefield.

Hi Red,

Thanks for your help, it looks like I can push back my Garrett family a few more generations. Sometimes when the spelling is so close it's difficult to determine which family is right and with a name like Charles where do you start :roll: I will get back to you when I have some more news. It proves you shouldn't believe everything you see or read:!:

Thanks again,

P.S. If you want any help with your butchers just give us a shout:hihi:

Cheers R6,

The butchers are fine, its the sheep dealers I'm slightly concerned about!!!!

In 1871 census, William is born in 1862, his sister Nellie in 1863.

In 1901 census, husband William born 1862, 'wife' Nellie in 1863 - supposedly in the North East, but there is no mention of her in any previous census, no record of the marriage......... and according to the 1901 this 'husband and wife' have four children........

Shame on you Red, having such suspicions of your ancestors!

Have a look at the 1891 census RG12/949 folio 21 page 4 bottom of the page for Williams wife. If you don't have ancestry pm me and I will send you the image.

Also look at RG12/949 folio 28 page 18 for sister Nellie whose marriage was Sep qtr 1888 Alresford ref 2c 257 :)

I do like puzzles :)

Hi R6, my grandad born 1880 is in the register Vol 9c p. 418, there maybe a Coventry connection, 1851 Charles was 21, his father was John, mother Sarah. Does any of that fit the jig-saw?

Shame on you Red, having such suspicions of your ancestors!

Have a look at the 1891 census RG12/949 folio 21 page 4 bottom of the page for Williams wife. If you don't have ancestry pm me and I will send you the image.

Also look at RG12/949 folio 28 page 18 for sister Nellie whose marriage was Sep qtr 1888 Alresford ref 2c 257 :)

I do like puzzles :)

You star! Cheers, HP!!!!

Having said that, does that mean the census return for 1901 is a mistake..... or I am just being sludgy-headed after a shocking week at work? (URL PMed)

Hi Red

If you need to look for her on the 1891, for some unknown reason they have transcribed her as Sarah Ellen Northcott!

I don't think it is a mistake on the 1901, just that people often had a Sunday name (the one they were christened with, usually named after a family member) and then their everyday name which could be quite different. For instance my great-grandad Charles James Evans, was known as Joe! In this case, I would guess her proper name was Sarah Ellen, but her nickname was Nellie (Nellie is a form of Ellen). Her place of birth is the same, her year of birth is the same, and her eldest child is the same, and as Effie is quite an unusual name, it is fairly safe to assume they are the same person.

If you get the birth certificate for Effie, you will get Sarah Ellen(Nellie)'s maiden name which would be the final proof (or not!). Effie is on the bmd at ancestry.

There was marriage of a William James Stubbs who is a possible match with a Sarah Ellen Atkinson in the right time frame 1888, but in St Germans, Cornwall, so I am not sure why they might have wandered over there - maybe a runaway match?

I think this is her on the 1881, born Durham but living in Alresford, it does seem to fit together.

http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=7572&iid=HAMRG11_1243_1245-0276&fn=Sarah+E.&ln=Atkinson&st=r&ssrc=&pid=7014556

It was quite fun finding this family, seeing as you did not mention their surname or where they lived - I love a challenge ;)

Archived