Free genealogy resources in Sheffield?

zerocool

Hi, could anyone tell me how I could find out who owned a property in the 1840s and 1850s?? I know who lived there, from the census, but I need to know if they actually owned the property or were just tenants....

Is there something like the land Registry which would have these records?? Thanks!!!

The Rate Books at Sheffield Archives are certainly worth a look, although this might be a bit early for them to have much information. This would be the first step.

If it is freehold property or long lease property (over 21 years) then The Registry of Deeds at Wakefield should have a copy of the deeds, however it is indexed on vendors and purchasers, not on the address, so you need a name first. If you get the owner from the rate book then it is theoretically possible to find out when and to whom the property was sold by checking the deeds.

The Registry of Deeds is difficult to use, it might be worth using a professional genealogist who knows what they are doing ;)

Hi Janner,

I have received the birth cert this morning for Charles Garratt born 1857 and the jury is still out on whether it's the right one. It says his father was Charles Richard Garratt. Tin plate maker, mine seem to all have been cutlers but I suppose many changed trades. I'm still not sure about the Garratt either as it's always been was Garrett.However I know until 1875 spelling wasn't standardised It's not just the transcriber though as it was definitely with an a on the certificate. I will have to do some more reseach on this family- just had a breakthrough on another so there is hope yet!!!

I have ancestors married at Manchester Cathedral, except it wasn't a cathedral then, on 4-2-1836. Anyone know what information would be recorded? I don't fancy a trek over there if their fathers aren't mentioned.

Thanks in advance.

Hi HennyPenny,

Do you know anything about where the bastardy bonds/ orders are kept?

Are they down at the Archives.?

Lois

There are some at the Archives, but not many survive for Sheffield Parish. There is a card index for the ones that have survived.

I have ancestors married at Manchester Cathedral, except it wasn't a cathedral then, on 4-2-1836. Anyone know what information would be recorded? I don't fancy a trek over there if their fathers aren't mentioned.

Thanks in advance.

You are not going to get a fathers name prior to civil registration (July 1st1837). All you will get is the name of the bride and groom, parish of residence for both parties, the names of the witnesses and possibly an occupation for the groom.

You don't have to visit Manchester though, you can write to the local studies unit of the central library, and they should send you a copy.

You are not going to get a fathers name prior to civil registration (July 1st1837). All you will get is the name of the bride and groom, parish of residence for both parties, the names of the witnesses and possibly an occupation for the groom.

You don't have to visit Manchester though, you can write to the local studies unit of the central library, and they should send you a copy.

Knew I'd come to the right place! Thanks for the information, anything is better than a visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived