Free genealogy resources in Sheffield?

zerocool

I am intrested in finding someone named Justin Gordon born outside the Uk possibly Jamaica Aged Between 55 & 65 he maybe have worked for Sheffield railway for along time i believe.

We need some ideas of the time period. If it's someone who lived within living memory, you're better off posting a specific post in the Sheffield History & Expats section.

I had an ancestor who died in Sheffield in 1935. I wonder if he left a will and if I could find out at the Archives or would have to go to Wakefield. Does anyone know?

Sheffield Archives holds annual name indexes for the period 1858-1934. For 1935 and beyond, indexes are available from the Probate Sub Registry at the Law Courts, Sheffield. Some pre 1858 (Sheffield) wills are listed by name in our subject index under 'Wills'.

Hope this helps

I don't know the Sub-Registry. How do you get to see the registers. Does it have specific opening hours for you to search or do you have to book?

SHEFFIELD

Sheffield Probate Sub-Registry

P.O. Box 832

The Law Courts

50, West Bar

Sheffield

S3 8YR

Tel: 0114 281 2596

Email : sheffield.psr@hmcourts-service.gsi.gov.uk

Hi duckweed,

I think you have to send them £5.00 and they investigate the records for you, this was the procedure anyway when I used it.

Archived