North V South Divide

trans

Indeed. Where I live is north of Watford, yet I'm half an hour from London and would never describe it as Northern.

The traditional dividing line Watford Gap, which is near Northampton. Best known now as a service station but the word "Gap" literally means a gap in the dividing line between North and South which could be used to pass.

There are places in the south that feel northern. Bristol has always felt like a northern, industrial city to me. And parts of Cornwall feel as northern as Northumberland. But places like Harrogate feel like they should be in the South. Perhaps there is no divide at all, expect in peoples minds?

It is to do with perceived class differences and Harrogate and places like it have a "southern vibe",whereas Cornwall is similar to Cumbria and Cleveland.

It is to do with perceived class differences and Harrogate and places like it have a "southern vibe",whereas Cornwall is similar to Cumbria and Cleveland.

That surprises me. When we went down to Cornwall there were a lot of properties that are now designated as 'weekend retreats' by people (presumably living in London, or the home counties). It's pejoratively called 'Padstein' by locals (after the 'land grab' by restauranter Rick Stein).

I think the situation is just as tense in Dorset, where people who grew up there can no longer afford to buy a house close to family due to being priced out of the market by people wanting second homes.

your right, owt passed Watford is classed as up north to them southerners, especially this goverment they don't know we exist, oops sorry! only when it comes to severe job losses.:gag:

Of course they know we exist, % of people getting benefit is miles higher up north and draining the Goverment funds. they cant do essentrial work becuase of losers up north

Archived