Argos, are their prices iinflated prior to sales?

I have been looking at portable hard drives and seen WD My Passport Essential 500GB Portable Hard Drive - Blue on sale for £49.99 was £119.99 at Argos. On PC World drive they have WESTERN DIGITAL My Passport Portable USB Hard Drive - 500 GB, Blue for £49.99 was £59.99. Both specs seem very similar, I can't see there being £60 difference in them. I bought a DAB radio on Saturday at Argos that was reduced by £50 and it has gone up by £10 since then. Are Argos saying the prices are higher originally to make it look like you are getting a better bargain?

I have been looking at portable hard drives and seen WD My Passport Essential 500GB Portable Hard Drive - Blue on sale for £49.99 was £119.99 at Argos. On PC World drive they have WESTERN DIGITAL My Passport Portable USB Hard Drive - 500 GB, Blue for £49.99 was £59.99. Both specs seem very similar, I can't see there being £60 difference in them. I bought a DAB radio on Saturday at Argos that was reduced by £50 and it has gone up by £10 since then. Are Argos saying the prices are higher originally to make it look like you are getting a better bargain?

Yes, usually in very small print they'll have something along the lines of:

"Higher price charged at x amount of stores for x amount of days"

eg "Higher price charged at 25 stores for 7 days"

The other trick that they do is to place massive discounts on items that they claim to have no stock of when you go to buy it. Sales end and suddenly they have a warehouse full.

Believe me over inflated prices before the sale so they can show a saving is extremely common practice in retail

I have also known retailers have 2 almost identicle models and they would alternate the "half price" offer to get around the law.

Believe me over inflated prices before the sale so they can show a saving is extremely common practice in retail

I have also known retailers have 2 almost identicle models and they would alternate the "half price" offer to get around the law.

This trick is used by DFS. I reckon they have 2 sets of furniture, one on show, and one in a warehouse at the higher, pre sale price.

Archived