Sheffield Theatre/Plays

noseyrosie

Disappoined in The Crucible at The Crucible. It was unconsistant. Started off badly... actually no... the first 40/50 minutes were appalling. The girl playing Abigail was awful. Not an acting bone in her body.

However at points it did pick up and there were some very powerful moments. The second half was far superior but still spoiled by Abilgail.

The set was fantastic, the lighting not good but it was certainly an interesting evening... especially for a teacher like myself.

Anyone disagree?

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna go see this tommorow....

---------------

'Oh Christ, nothing's right. I wish I was back with Mimi and the boys'

Be one of the first to see

Piaf

Directed by Timothy Sheader

Crucible Theatre

Special prices for first 4 performances:

Thur 11 March - all tickets £1 (from 12 noon, in person, on the day)

Fri 12, Sat 13, Mon 15 March - all tickets £7.50

Mon 15 March - aged 16-26? Get your tickets for just £5.00

Edith Piaf was addicted to alcohol, heroin and love. Her generosity of spirit, her capacity for self-destruction and her remarkable voice are captured by Anna-Jane Casey, last seen at the Crucible in the TMA award-winning musical SWEET CHARITY, along with the same creative team.

Includes the timeless classics FALLING IN LOVE AGAIN; NON, JE NE REGRETTE RIEN and LA VIE EN ROSE.

TICKETS: 0114 249 6000

Piaf: Thursday 11 March - Wednesday 7 April 2004.

I'm a bit surprised at the praise heaped on Sheffield Theatres, I find it a bit hit and miss - I wish there was more competition. For some reason the smaller cutitng edge groups never seem to come here (eg, Trestle, Paines Plough or shows that start at Edinburgh). Did anybody else think The Crucible was a bit sterile and failed to create much intimacy and atmosphere?

I've recently tried to book the Crucible Studio Theatre for a fairly regular stand up comedy night, but was unable to due to the fact that the venue is so outrageously popular, they couldn't give me any nights this year.

What is the Uni Drama Studio like? I'm ashamed to say I've never been in. Is it available on an ad hoc hire basis?

Drama studio is a lovely venue - it holds about 200. I think it is well booked up though. I used to do some am dram there a few years ago and it was a fairly well regimented, 'get in Sunday, tech Monday, dress, Tuesday, open Weds...get out Sat' routine.

I reckon you'd be better off finding a town centre venue. The Montgomery Hall? The Library Theatre? The Showroom?

Archived