Sheffield Theatre/Plays

noseyrosie

Every vote counts! Please send this to other friends, supporters and colleagues.

Sheffield's Crucible Theatre has been short-listed in a poll to determine which theatre will be awarded the title Best Regional Theatre of 2004. Theatregoers can vote online at http://www.whatsonstage.com until midnight on Monday 19 April 2004.

From an original list of seventy, a short list of ten venues was created based on the number of nominations received by members of the public.

The short listed top ten regional theatres in 2004 are:

Birmingham Repertory

Bristol Old Vic

Chichester Festival Theatre

Liverpool Everyman & Playhouse

Manchester Royal Exchange

Sheffield Crucible

Stephen Joseph Theatre, Scarborough

Theatre Royal, Plymouth

Watermill Theatre, Newbury

West Yorkshire Playhouse, Leeds

The Whatsonstage.com survey also measures public opinion on the condition of regional theatre, how it's changed in recent years and how it compares to London's West End. Final results will be announced on Tuesday 20 April.

I agree Sheffield theatre is tops! I have recently been to see both Piaf (at the Crucible) and Slamdunk! (at the Lyceum) and both were a good reflection of the quality of productions coming to Sheffield at the moment. Keep it up Sheffield - theatre is the place to be at the minute!

Sheffield also has some of the best amateur theatre too. There is usually a good play on at the Library Theatre most times of year as well as some good productions out in the suburbs.

I know that Stannington Players are performing the comedy Party Piece next week at the Lomas Hall in Stannington. They have a good reputation and their prices are lower than groups that perform in the city centre.

• 3 months later...

I have to say that i am really disappointed with the new season at the Crucible. There is not much on that i want to see, and the stuff i will see, i'll watch in Wakefield and Hull because it's cheaper.

I'd advise theatre goers to make the short trip to West Yorkshire Playhouse to see some shows there, as they have had some great things on there in the last year.

The Sheffield Theatres had some great things on last season, it's a shame it seems to have dipped abit. It seems like they are trying to go for an audience who like seeing plays they don't really understand.

Did anyone see Prokofiev's ballet Romeo and Juliet at the beginning of the year.

The Romeo and Juliet fantasy overture by Tchaikovsky was as emotionally charged as it was captivating .

Any Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninov fans out there?

Archived