What is your definition of a chav ?

It is in as much as the term pedant is reasonably accurate and incapable of being misunderstood,and in some cases can be seen as a compliment for attention to detail and minutIae.

If you wanted a poof-reader or an actuary or even an auditor pedantry would be highly desirable.

It is in as much as the term pedant is reasonably accurate and incapable of being misunderstood,and in some cases can be seen as a compliment for attention to detail and minutIae.

If you wanted a poof-reader or an actuary or even an auditor pedantry would be highly desirable.

As I said, if you read my post, Chav is not a term I use often, and when I do it is with people who know me well, and therefore know what sort of person I'm describing. Do you understand?

A male who insists on having one or more of his hands down his trousers in public. Why do people do this?

It is because no-one else will want to perform this function.

---------- Post added 27-12-2012 at 17:21 ----------

It's not actually a term I personally often use, but when I do, the people I'm addressing are inevitably people I know well, and who therefore understand the type of person I'm referring to.

It's no lazier than say using 'pedant' to descibe a person who is obsessed with formal rules, or who wishes to make a show of their knowledge or who obsesses over minutae.

I did read this post,and it made a lot of sense.

I assumed that it was a term used by those who have been conned into believing that they have progressed beyond the working classes into the lower middle class and by using language to denigrate a section of society which would be unacceptable if refering to someones sexuality or ethnicity makes them feel better about themselves.

Think of it as a type of shorthand. It's a lot quicker and easier than describing all the unpleasant components that go to make up someone worthy of the title every time one wants to refer to one.

Also when you say you've seen a chav and you mention the gender of the individual the listener probably can accurately describe that type of person without any more description.

There is a growing underclass in society that has abandoned decency, work ethic and community instead goes around taking drugs banging out children and sitting on the dole.

There is a growing underclass in society that has abandoned decency, work ethic and community instead goes around taking drugs banging out children and sitting on the dole.

That is exactly what you have now been conditioned to believe.