What is your definition of a chav ?

There may well be people at the bottom of the pile with no shame and no worries or aspirations - but then there will be people from families doing very nicely thank you who are equally shameless and with few worries.

From my perspective it's not about taking offence on behalf of others - like I say you call people names at your own peril. It's just a shame that those from a rightist perspective don't punch upwards as often and with the same ferocity as downwards.

I think you'll find many people with a rightist perspective will happily punch upwards too. I've no problem with a little demonisation of bankers, politicians and corporations as well as chavs.

• 1 month later...
They wear onesies,they fail to clear their table at fast food establishments, they buy food from Greggs and eat it whilst walking around the shops.

OMG I walk and eat from Greggs, I am not a chav! How Very Dare You!

---------- Post added 12-09-2015 at 00:42 ----------

This will shock you. I do not use a knife or fork eating my Big Mac or My hot saussage roll from greggs. I use my fingers and hands!

I never use the word, because its a derogatory term for the oiks at the bottom of society, thought up by right wingers.

The word chav comes from youth gangs originally known as 'charvers' in the north east, especially Newcastle, back in the 90s. Their uniform was the big bling rings, necklaces, burberry caps and tracksuits, and being gangs, had a reputation for low level drug dealing, theft and violence. It's not a term thought up by right wingers at all.

When I went to Uni in the north east, gangs of youths shoplifting in shopping centres was not a new thing, we had those down south too, but gangs in burberry and Kappa tracksuits like a uniform was new to me, and felt regionalised.

Some parts of the press seem to want to associate a Romany term for 'boy' as the origin which I think them just trying to be clever and disassociate it from gangs and general scummery.

The word chav comes from youth gangs originally known as 'charvers' in the north east, especially Newcastle, back in the 90s. Their uniform was the big bling rings, necklaces, burberry caps and tracksuits, and being gangs, had a reputation for low level drug dealing, theft and violence. It's not a term thought up by right wingers at all.

When I went to Uni in the north east, gangs of youths shoplifting in shopping centres was not a new thing, we had those down south too, but gangs in burberry and Kappa tracksuits like a uniform was new to me, and felt regionalised.

Some parts of the press seem to want to associate a Romany term for 'boy' as the origin which I think them just trying to be clever and disassociate it from gangs and general scummery.

U could have a point here mate - I recall friends frequenting a North East Forum that "bordered" on this u mention :)