Car insurance quote

Unless you have a longish daily commute to work, I would tell them 5,000. The higher your mileage, the higher your premium.

Not always (unless it was wrong info posted), in a similar discussion a while back, someone said their quote was reduced by telling them 10,000 rather than 8,000!

Work out the daily commute distance, multiply by 260 (I know that doesn't account for times when you don't go to work) and take it from there. Unless your going to the coast every weekend, social use will probably not be much more than 50 miles a week? Or is that just me?

But how does someone know what their mileage will be who has never driven before. I work in sheffield and live in sheffield but will be driving to at weekend further out and odd trips to seasides and down south etc... General daily toutes round sheffiel etc...

Just tell them 10 000. That should cover all eventualities. They aren't likely to check.

Keep a record of the miles that you do this year, to help you with next year's quote.

Not always (unless it was wrong info posted), in a similar discussion a while back, someone said their quote was reduced by telling them 10,000 rather than 8,000!

Mine went down. I used to choose "upto 12000 miles". At the renewal I changed it to "upto 14000" and it went down £27. In the end I chose "upto 16000 miles" and it went down further but started to creep up after that.

Without knowing your age, the car you will be driving, the area you live and park the car in, who knows? All these elements (and more) carry with them a risk factor and you can't easily change them to someone else's profile.

So is it expensive? You'll only know that if you manage to get a cheaper quote elsewhere.

I have had quotes today for my new car for next year ranging from £490 to 1090. I will get it down still further by making more calls and be happier with the price than I could be at the moment. But I have time to sort it.

The pearl that was passed my way this afternoon was that Tesco insurance offer no discounts for PassPlus or any other driver training qualifications such as Advanced etc BUT you might get up to 30% off the quote if you have a ClubCard and spend loads in-store. Underwriting risk at its best, methinks.

Archived