Sheffield The Last Trams

cigy

That was wonderful to watch. Brought back lots of memories. So few cars on the roads too. Sheffield was a thriving city back then.

I can remember the actual last trams, we lived at Carbrook and we went one night to watch the trams all festooned with lights go along the main road on their last journey. I was only little at the time and it was magical.

That was wonderful to watch. Brought back lots of memories. So few cars on the roads too. Sheffield was a thriving city back then.

I can remember the actual last trams, we lived at Carbrook and we went one night to watch the trams all festooned with lights go along the main road on their last journey. I was only little at the time and it was magical.

Yes, I watched it and it brought back great memories of my schooldays when I travelled by tram to Wadsley Bridge terminus and then walked up Halifax road to Chaucer school in the late 1950s. Then on the way home we used to clamber upstairs to sit in the bay area and chatter away about the day we`d just had at school. Oh happy days!!

Suprising to see how many buildings were instantly recognisable and I've now learnt that the dual carriageway at Millhouses was once a tram route only on one side. The comments about the Moor with it's nice new modern shops and the new market building which looks so good as the narrator says tickled me as nowadays people say it's so old and dated. I also remember riding on buses with the open platform at the back so it was interesting to see a more modern style bus in operation way back then assuming of course the filming was all done in the same period.

it was interesting to see a more modern style bus in operation way back then assuming of course the filming was all done in the same period.

The bus in question is a Leyland Atlantean, that entered service in Sheffield in 1959, one year before the trams ceased.

Archived