Speed Cameras and objections to them

Because people regularly go over the limit reasonably, and are unreasonably punished.

It's only a minor to go over a bit on your test, and the police don't usually ticket for 10% + 2 ( or maybe 3 I think now).

So it's widely recognised that by police and Government that people speed and they let it happen, it's about not speeding dangerously.

Look at Meredydd Hughes, Chief Constable of SYP, chair or a road safety group caught speeding, and he supports hidden speed cameras.

I am always confused why people object to speed cameras. We have regular updates from people on here as to where they are. Surely if you dont speed and follow the speed limit then why should you worry about them or am I missing something?

Fixed cameras or even mobile ones are fine - if you dont exceed the speed limit then you are never even recorded.

I have great objections on privacy grounds to those that store your data like the average distance ones, or the ANPR but that's based on privacy reasons, not on speeding or lack thereof

I am always confused why people object to speed cameras. We have regular updates from people on here as to where they are. Surely if you dont speed and follow the speed limit then why should you worry about them or am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing something.

Speed limits are lowered to an unnecessary level and cameras are installed to establish a revenue stream.

There will now follow endeless posts by the "All speed kills" simpletons that seem to be disproportionately represented and vocal on this forum.

'cos they scare the living daylights out of the idiots who don't understand them.

Why do people have to do an emergency stop to achieve 20mph through a 30mph camera zone?

It's dangerous and life threatening.

I love it when people abuse others before they even post. I'm one of those simpletons Fred, if you don;t like that I have a different opinion to you you can stick it.

It's very difficult to crash a car if everyone is stationary. From that it's inescapably obvious that speed is a requirement for an accident. Higher speed means more energy in a crash which reduces survivabilty so excess speed does inarguably increase the death and injury rate in an accident. How much it contributes to the accident rate though is another question.

---------- Post added 28-12-2012 at 16:48 ----------

'cos they scare the living daylights out of the idiots who don't understand them.

Why do people have to do an emergency stop to achieve 20mph through a 30mph camera zone?

It's dangerous and life threatening.

You missed the bit where they do it with their foglights on, making it tricky sometimes to see their brakelights.

Yes, you are missing something.

Speed limits are lowered to an unnecessary level and cameras are installed to establish a revenue stream.

There will now follow endeless posts by the "All speed kills" simpletons that seem to be disproportionately represented and vocal on this forum.

Firstly all speed doesnt kill as police and ambulance men can bear testament too however higher the speed the higher the risk of a) someone being hit and b) if they are more severe the injury.

Secondly its a voluntary stream of revenue if people obeyed the speed limit then they wouldnt need to pay would they?

Firstly all speed doesnt kill as police and ambulance men can bear testament too however higher the speed the higher the risk of a) someone being hit and b) if they are more severe the injury.

Secondly its a voluntary stream of revenue if people obeyed the speed limit then they wouldnt need to pay would they?

But if people didn't incessantly warble on about the dangers of speeding cars they wouldn't need cameras to appease them.

Why do car drivers get an instant fine,yet the majority of other minor offences get the opportunity to get off with the crime.Not all speed cameras prove who the driver is so often the police have no evidence against them,yet some mugger or burglar relies on 1% of uncertainty to get off with a crime. Or more usually relies on "no comment".

Archived