Speed Cameras and objections to them

It's because speed cameras are entirely arbitrary means of 'safety improvement' which relies on a flawed mantra that 'speed kills'. It's a flawed paradigm because it's only contribution to safety relies on reducing every driver to the lowest common denominator rather than removing unsafe/poor/idiotic drivers from the roads.

The risk of death is approximately four times higher when a pedestrian is hit at 40mph than at 30mph - think about that next time you pass a school @ 38mph

The problem is that cameras replace traffic cops who are far better at enforcing safer driving rather than reducing traffic to a crawl. They can't account for the idiots with no lights on in the dark, the drivers with fog lights on 24/7, or the oblivious twonk who almost crashed into my OH on the university roundabout by trying to take the second exit from the r/h lane.

which is kind of missing the point of a speed camera

It's because speed cameras are entirely arbitrary means of 'safety improvement' which relies on a flawed mantra that 'speed kills'. It's a flawed paradigm because it's only contribution to safety relies on reducing every driver to the lowest common denominator rather than removing unsafe/poor/idiotic drivers from the roads.

The problem is that cameras replace traffic cops who are far better at enforcing safer driving rather than reducing traffic to a crawl. They can't account for the idiots with no lights on in the dark, the drivers with fog lights on 24/7, or the oblivious twonk who almost crashed into my OH on the university roundabout by trying to take the second exit from the r/h lane.

How would you remove the twonks ,BTP?Is there a camera which will reveal people at the wheel who look daft?Why not go to the DVL database and scrub all those who look a bit "challenged"?

I want to see BTP wriggle out of this check mate-nice move AUK.

no doubt there will be a comment about how everyone goes above the speed limit at some point in the journey - which is ignoring any definition of speeding.

for the sake of clarity Penistone999 and chums lets consider speeding to be sustained driving above the posted speed limit for that road IIRC the highway code gives examples when you may go above the limit for the shortest duration.

no doubt there will be a comment about how everyone goes above the speed limit at some point in the journey - which is ignoring any definition of speeding.

for the sake of clarity Penistone999 and chums lets consider speeding to be sustained driving above the posted speed limit for that road IIRC the highway code gives examples when you may go above the limit for the shortest duration.

p999 makes Clarkson look like George Monbiot:hihi:

The risk of death is approximately four times higher when a pedestrian is hit at 40mph than at 30mph - think about that next time you pass a school @ 38mph

Can't say I've ever done that. Most schools I pass are 20 mph limits and guess what.. I stick to them. But there are many ways to improve safety, for example crossing patrols, safety barriers and parents not parking on the zig zags. NEVER seen a warden or a police officer enforcing; stopping that as they did when I was a kid. There are also many more places where there are limits which are not appropriate. Doing 30 mph on Penistone Road past Morrisons is very different to a residential road. Yet speed limits are not applied correctly.

which is kind of missing the point of a speed camera

It's not missing the point at all. It's saying that speed cameras are a cheap, flawed and blunt tool for achieving a worthy aim which are popular because they raise revenue.

Can't say I've ever done that. Most schools I pass are 20 mph limits and guess what.. I stick to them. But there are many ways to improve safety, for example crossing patrols, safety barriers and parents not parking on the zig zags. NEVER seen a warden or a police officer enforcing; stopping that as they did when I was a kid. There are also many more places where there are limits which are not appropriate. Doing 30 mph on Penistone Road past Morrisons is very different to a residential road. Yet speed limits are not applied correctly.

It's not missing the point at all. It's saying that speed cameras are a cheap, flawed and blunt tool for achieving a worthy aim which are popular because they raise revenue.

With whom are they popular?Do you know the meaning of popular,and how the word relates to people?

Can't say I've ever done that. Most schools I pass are 20 mph limits and guess what.. I stick to them. But there are many ways to improve safety, for example crossing patrols, safety barriers and parents not parking on the zig zags. NEVER seen a warden or a police officer enforcing stopping that as they did when I was a kid. There are also many more places where there are limits which are not appropriate. Doing 30 mph on Penistone Road past Morrisons is very different to a residential road. Yet speed limits are not applied correctly.

unfortunately none of your examples are of the things speed cameras are designed to detect (key word been detect).

speed cameras do their job 100% perfectly well.

its not really your place to decide if a speed limit on any given road is appropriate or not is it?

what about applying that logic to drink driving?you could decide to unilaterally say "I only had three pints so I`ll stick to the main well lit routes" - I don`t think so.

How would you remove the twonks ,BTP?Is there a camera which will reveal people at the wheel who look daft?Why not go to the DVL database and scrub all those who look a bit "challenged"?

Clearly the obvious answer, which I am sure you would have gleaned from my post is more police, less cameras. It's easy to judge a driver by their actions and there are many more dangerous actions in driving than doing 56mph in a 50mph limit.

Personally, I would advocate compulsory repeat theory testing every ten years, with compulsory practical re-tests for any banned driver.

Clearly the obvious answer, which I am sure you would have gleaned from my post is more police, less cameras. It's easy to judge a driver by their actions and there are many more dangerous actions in driving than doing 56mph in a 50mph limit.

Personally, I would advocate compulsory repeat theory testing every ten years, with compulsory practical re-tests for any banned driver.

once again, how do you decide which laws you want enforcing and which you don`t?

Archived