Speed Cameras and objections to them

Drivers who speed are by definition poor drivers as they are unable to stay below a predetermined limit.

Which is why I have a clean licence. Although I suppose an equal test would be that they are unable to see a big yellow box which is signposted with a big picture of a camera. Still, those people who slam on to 30 mph on RVR are clearly able to see the camera and yet totally unable to see the 40 mph repeater signs.

Can't say I've ever done that. Most schools I pass are 20 mph limits and guess what.. I stick to them.

That's good. Many people don't though, and a big yellow box is an effective way of reminding them not to.

If they don't get the message after three strikes, the fourht one removes their right to drive. I really cannot see what the problem is with that - it's far more efficient than having a copper standing there all day.

That's good. Many people don't though, and a big yellow box is an effective way of reminding them not to.

If they don't get the message after three strikes, the fourht one removes their right to drive. I really cannot see what the problem is with that - it's far more efficient than having a copper standing there all day.

You're quite right. When i attended a speed awareness course for exceeding 70mph on the M1, i was one of 14.Only two of us were guilty of speeding on a mahor road. All the others consisting of parents and grandparents were all guilty of speeding in a 30 zone.

It still doesn't prevent people being crap or dangerous drivers just because they drive under the limit,as i frequently see. If they don't know what speed they're doing and have to hit the brakes they obviously have very poor perception.

If you look at where speed cameras are on fast roads, it's always where you need to start slowing down - the ones on the Parkway are as you get to Derek Dooley way, not halfway down at the interchanges, the ones on the motorways tend to be near the end... It's interesting that there was such an imbalance on the course though, whcih tends to suggest there isn't really a speeding issue on the motorway/A roads as you think.

If you look at where speed cameras are on fast roads, it's always where you need to start slowing down - the ones on the Parkway are as you get to Derek Dooley way, not halfway down at the interchanges, the ones on the motorways tend to be near the end... It's interesting that there was such an imbalance on the course though, whcih tends to suggest there isn't really a speeding issue on the motorway/A roads as you think.

exactly, a fixed detection and deterant exactly where it would be most effective

I`m sure if you think about why fewer people get caught on motorways you`ll see the difference in effectiveness of fixed camera versus a mobile patrol catching one in every 1000 speeding drivers.

With whom are they popular?Do you know the meaning of popular,and how the word relates to people?

One would have thought that you might have checked the definition before making such an ill thought out and aggressive remark. Still, at least I can use google effectively.

Adjective

Liked, admired, or enjoyed by many people or by a particular person or group.

Well when local authorities were able to retain the revenue from cameras, their numbers roughly trebled in 10 years, when their cost was funded by central govt. So they were popular with authorities who installed them (group 1) and they were popular with the Labour government, who thought fit to fund them (group 2).

Since the conservative government insisted that; a) local authorities pay for their own cameras, and b) asked authorities to consider that they need to prove that cameras are better than alternative safety measures, their use has fallen. One can only speculate as to why, but perhaps it is because the authorities with which they were popular were unable to prove their efficacy over other safety measures.

Would you say someone driving at 75MPH on an empty motorway at 2am is a poor driver . ?

it`s not for you to decide, no more than it`s for you to decide how many drinks are too many or wether to drive on the pavement.

why is that so hard for so many people to accept?

Archived