Night life for the over 40s in Sheffield is rubbish!

EASTWOOD141

Just what I was thinking. I dont know what some of these people want.

Sheffield has a great scene away from the tweenager bars and clubs. There is handful of good real ale pubs, a good selection of live music bars (rock and general), normal reasonable priced pubs with a completely mixed age group, poncey and arty farty bars for those who want it. Plus just outside the centre there are some brilliant pubs around Kelham Island and Ecclesall Road catering for a more mature audience. Maybe some of these people should venture a little further than just Division St and actually open their eyes to what the city offers.

York is dull as dishwater with nothing but the usual chain pubs and studenty places.

Leeds provides nothing else but a load of crappy chain sticky floor late bars OR overpriced ten bob millionaire joints filled with posers ordering their overpriced cocktails. Nothing inbetween for regular joes.

I really wonder if there is any pleasing some people no matter what you offer.

ECCoonoob I couldn't agree more with you. I actually pity some of the folk that have contributed to this thread. Sheffield is a fantastic place for varied nightlife. I work with so many people that stop in every weekend and the only contribution they can put forward to conversations on Monday mornings at work is what happened on X factor, come dancing etc.

True York and Leeds have alternative scenes. Nothing approaching the scale of Sheffields though. York is good for its river bars, Leeds as got a few glitzy bars.

Manchester and Newcastle are the only ones I'd say to anyone are worth having a regular overnight weekend away for.

Just what I was thinking. I dont know what some of these people want.

Sheffield has a great scene away from the tweenager bars and clubs. There is handful of good real ale pubs, a good selection of live music bars (rock and general), normal reasonable priced pubs with a completely mixed age group, poncey and arty farty bars for those who want it. Plus just outside the centre there are some brilliant pubs around Kelham Island and Ecclesall Road catering for a more mature audience. Maybe some of these people should venture a little further than just Division St and actually open their eyes to what the city offers.

York is dull as dishwater with nothing but the usual chain pubs and studenty places.

Leeds provides nothing else but a load of crappy chain sticky floor late bars OR overpriced ten bob millionaire joints filled with posers ordering their overpriced cocktails. Nothing inbetween for regular joes.

I really wonder if there is any pleasing some people no matter what you offer.

You've clearly never spent anytime in York. It's 100 times better than Sheffield for pubs and bars. Plus people are actually out in town, unlike deadsville Sheffield.

You've clearly never spent anytime in York. It's 100 times better than Sheffield for pubs and bars. Plus people are actually out in town, unlike deadsville Sheffield.

Why? what exactly makes it 100 times better prey tell. Have something to say if you want to make your post substantial.

What exactly does it actually offer BETTER than sheffield that I have missed.

Also, where are all these people hiding in Sheffield. Considering nearly every bar, pub, club, restaurant is rammed each and every Thursday - Sunday night? Do you really consider that to be "Dead" Simply dont believe you.

York has no locals just a mixture of students,tourists and visiting nobility from Harrogate and Knaresborough.The place is an anachronism.

I'm 65.I have no problem I enjoy the West street scene.You have to dress properly keep fit and trim,but age is all in the mind.In Australia I have seen 80 year olds in wheelchairs clubbing along untill 6am with youngsters who I reckon were not old enough to be in there.I think some people are born old in attitude.If you think you are past it,you are.

^^ This, i'm 30 and still frequent the night life, along with many around my age, and many younger (family, and friends, and I'm talking 18-25 year olds)

Why? what exactly makes it 100 times better prey tell. Have something to say if you want to make your post substantial.

Also, where are all these people hiding in Sheffield. Considering nearly every bar, pub, club, restaurant is rammed each and every Thursday - Sunday night? Do you really consider that to be "Dead" Simply dont believe you.

It's probably 100 times better for him, as he's found a place that ticks all his boxes. It's a bold claim to suggest York would be better for anyone 'of a certain age' though, you could say the same thing about Eastbourne.

I'm 36 and never had an issue with finding places to go in Sheffield. In my experience, the dirt cheap places and those that are trying to be excruciatingly trendy attract all the younger clientele - but I've had some great times and never felt out of place in The Washington, Grapes, Nelson, West St. Live etc and even DQ and Corp have been good. As other people have mentioned, try the Dev Cat, Henrys, Browns, Bessimer and All Bar One as well.

Well, if you think It's student and chains, I'm not sure you've ever been! Are you sure It's not carlisle?

More pubs and bars per head than any place in the UK for starters.

A mixture of independent and chains, hundreds of cafes and restaurants too.

Sheffield is quiet, apart from one friday every month on payday.

Case in question, on the very same day just before xmas sheffield was dead, whilst york was buzzing. I was in both places so saw with my own eyes.

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 10:34 ----------

York has no locals just a mixture of students,tourists and visiting nobility from Harrogate and Knaresborough.The place is an anachronism.

Err well I live in York and you're wide of the mark.

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 10:36 ----------

It's probably 100 times better for him, as he's found a place that ticks all his boxes. It's a bold claim to suggest York would be better for anyone 'of a certain age' though, you could say the same thing about Eastbourne.

I'm 36 and never had an issue with finding places to go in Sheffield. In my experience, the dirt cheap places and those that are trying to be excruciatingly trendy attract all the younger clientele - but I've had some great times and never felt out of place in The Washington, Grapes, Nelson, West St. Live etc and even DQ and Corp have been good. As other people have mentioned, try the Dev Cat, Henrys, Browns, Bessimer and All Bar One as well.

All i said it was better for people my age, which is early 30s. Which it is! Washington is the only place worth a visit on your list there imho, and even then it smells funny

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 10:39 ----------

ECCoonoob I couldn't agree more with you. I actually pity some of the folk that have contributed to this thread. Sheffield is a fantastic place for varied nightlife. I work with so many people that stop in every weekend and the only contribution they can put forward to conversations on Monday mornings at work is what happened on X factor, come dancing etc.

True York and Leeds have alternative scenes. Nothing approaching the scale of Sheffields though. York is good for its river bars, Leeds as got a few glitzy bars.

Manchester and Newcastle are the only ones I'd say to anyone are worth having a regular overnight weekend away for.

You're absolutely wrong, Sheffield is limited. York much more varied. I've been out thousands of times in sheff and now live in York.

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 10:45 ----------

To be fair, folks are probably judging a place on one visit.

To really know a place you have to spend proper time there, that's why I'm right about York, sheffield and Leeds for youngish people. Cos i lived in all 3 places! Yeahhh boyeee!

Archived