Tax on National Lottery winnings

Tony

Should National Lottery winners be taxed?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should National Lottery winners be taxed?

National Lottery winners don't pay any tax on their winnings.

After all, unlike business people, athletes, musicians, footballers, or generations who manage family estates, all they did was spend a quid in the newsagents.

Is that right?

After all, unlike business people, athletes, musicians, footballers, or generations who manage family estates, all they did was spend a quid in the newsagents.

Is that right?

Dont you think the money Grabber`s at HMRC fleece us out of enough money already without screwing people out of money they won having a flutter. ?

Fair enough. Do you think that filling in a lottery ticket is different from inheriting earned wealth or being taxed 50% of earnings from being an athlete?

Well, a lotto win isn't an inheritance, I would say it's proceeds from gambling. Last time I checked that carries no tax burden, though I believe it's under review.

However, tax is paid on each ticket sold in advance of any win, 12% in duty & 28% to good causes. That would seem to be a good deal.

Tax will be paid on any earnings from the the win, the same as with your athlete example above.

All in all it seems to balance out quite well.

You have already paid tax on the money you used to buy the ticket. You don't get tax back if you lose, so why should you pay it if you win?

If I remember my history lessons correctly: Income Tax was introduced to pay for the Napoleonic wars. They are long over - so why are we still paying it?

Is that right?

What has made you ask that question? I do hope the origin is not jealousy :confused:

Other wins are tax free also, like wins from premium bonds for example. Would you be happier if money won by people was taxed :loopy:

Dont you think the money Grabber`s at HMRC fleece us out of enough money already without screwing people out of money they won having a flutter. ?

100% correct, and especially when we hear about how the goverment waste the billions of tax revenue they collect.

Archived