Tax on National Lottery winnings

Tony

Should National Lottery winners be taxed?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should National Lottery winners be taxed?

Aren't the odds of being born to rich parents the same for everyone?

No, only if you believe in immortal souls floating around waiting for a body to be born and jump into.

You being born to your parents was inevitable, you could not have been born otherwise.

---------- Post added 30-12-2012 at 12:53 ----------

Inheriting wealth can be random
No, it can't. You are not using that word correctly.

it doesn't always go down the family line. I had a grandfather who was a pharmacist with two shops, plenty of money and several other properties. Neither of his children inherited much, it all went to his second (much younger) wife, who had no children.
That is not random.

---------- Post added 30-12-2012 at 12:55 ----------

I have no chance of winning the lottery because I don't buy any tickets.

My parents in their mid 80's do buy tickets, and I doubt they would be able to spend it because they don't spend their pension as it is.

Their win would be my completely random gain, but I would have to pay inheritance tax on it.

Hmm, a tricky one that! I'll have a think.

I still maintain that "people should be taxed equally and fairly on earnings and gains irrespective on where they arise" is a fundamentally sound concept.

The problem is that you can only fairly tax winnings of wagers or lotteries if you also offset losses. Since most people are net losers it would cost a fortune to offset their losses against general tax wiping out the profits made by the lottery.

The problem is that you can only fairly tax winnings of wagers or lotteries if you also offset losses. Since most people are net losers it would cost a fortune to offset their losses against general tax wiping out the profits made by the lottery.

You can only offset losses against greater profits. HMRC operate a heads you win, tails you don't lose, system.

I fail to understand why you think it would cost a fortune. Simply take tax on winnings over allow a certain amount, but allow this small number of fortunate winners to offset any losses in that financial year. The vast majority of punters would be unaffected.

You can only offset losses against greater profits. HMRC operate a heads you win, tails you don't lose, system.

I fail to understand why you think it would cost a fortune. Simply take tax on winnings over allow a certain amount, but allow this small number of fortunate winners to offset any losses in that financial year. The vast majority of punters would be unaffected.

But the odds involved make it unfair to apply to a financial year. A player playing the main game twice a week with two lines with an average roi will lose around £1,500 over 10 years. If in the tenth year they get lucky and win £500, is it fair to tax them as if they made a profit of £350, when in fact they've made a loss of £1000?

Archived