Heatherfield Flats, Totley

sharrovian

Hi sharrovian - I can't give actual dates, but the flats in Heatherfield Court have odd numbers in the range 197-203 Baslow Road. For what it's worth, these numbers do not feature in the 1968 Kelly's Directory (compiled in 1967) but they are listed in the 1971 directory, compiled three years later. Grange Court (36 to 46 Lemont Road) and Park View opposite (41-51 Lemont Road) are not shown in the 1971 directory but they appear in the 1973 directory..:)

Hi Sharrovian. I lived in the prefabs on Green Oak estate and left Totley in 1966.

They were definitely not built then and I'm sure the land would then have been Pearsons Nurseries or part of the top of Green Oak Cres.

I think if you could find out when the prefabs were demolished that would be round about the time the flats were built. Definitely late 60s which would back up Hillsboro's findings

Sorry I can't be more accurate

• 1 month later...
Hi sharrovian - I can't give actual dates, but the flats in Heatherfield Court have odd numbers in the range 197-203 Baslow Road. For what it's worth, these numbers do not feature in the 1968 Kelly's Directory (compiled in 1967) but they are listed in the 1971 directory, compiled three years later. Grange Court (36 to 46 Lemont Road) and Park View opposite (41-51 Lemont Road) are not shown in the 1971 directory but they appear in the 1973 directory..:)

Hi .

As a postman I delivered Mickley Lane and Lemont Road in the late 60's. The top right of Lemont Road was called Heatherfield as they were built on the old Heatherfield Nurseries land . They had just been completed when I left Dore P.D.O. in 1969 to go to head office . Park View had not been started then . In the top corner of Green Oak Park , to the right of the gates was the bowling green . Weather they were built there or not I am not sure .

Pearsons nurseries was at the top of Mickley lane on the right , opposite the old Mickley lane childrens home.

Thanks Mike, I live nearby so I can tell you that as you go up Lemont Rd on the left is Park View which are just to one side overlooking the bowling green and on the right is Grange Court, Heatherfield Court is situated on Baslow Rd slightly further up than Heatherfield Club.

Thanks Mike, I live nearby so I can tell you that as you go up Lemont Rd on the left is Park View which are just to one side overlooking the bowling green and on the right is Grange Court, Heatherfield Court is situated on Baslow Rd slightly further up than Heatherfield Club.

Thanks for your reply. I bow to your local knowledge but the dates to which you referred got me somewhat perplexed :huh: I never thought to look on the google maps . There was no resemblance beyond no. 38 . The road off to the right above no 38 never was there in 1969 .

Perhaps if I start at the beginning . No. 38 were the owners of heatherfield nurseries , the access to which was adjacent to the left of 38 . Lemont road did not extend beyond 38 and Heatherfield nurseries . In 1967 - 68 the owners retired and closed the nurseries . It was at this time that two two-storey blocks of flats was built . They were built adjacent to each other , separated by about 20ft. by a communal footpath to Lemont road . Garaging space was to the rear , accessed by the same driveway as to 38. Lemont Road still was not extended at that time . I do recall one of the blocks was called Heatherfield . The other I don't remember the name . At that time there was nothing across the road other than the bowling green and hut . The reason I remember it so well is , not only did I deliver the area ,all the postal staff from Dore PDO.used to play bowls every Thursday night and then retire to the Bradway for libation . Honest , someone told me that it was on the 318 .

I am sorry to appear so pedantic but that is where Heatherfield and , more than likely Grange was in 1969 . ( though I associate Grange with the estate near the Cross Scythes . What you have on Lemont Road now is positively -definitely not what was there in 1969 . That is of course if the mapping on google from 2008 is still current . The lay out of that looks as if the planners had seen our 318 and took it to its extreme . What a bloody sprawl !!

Thanks for that Mike, so it is possible that the flats were built after 1969.

Hi sharrovarian.

I would suggest that those flats on the 2008 map of google were built much later than 1969 . What confuses me is that the flats to which I refer were on the spot where that road is . As I said before , one was certainly named Heatherfield . The people must have been offered a good deal to give them up to the new developer

I am 110% sure that my memory serves me correctly.

Regards

Archived