Disability Blue Badge..

I've just received mine, this time having to pay £10 which I don't mind as I was told they were being made by a new security company in Harrogate..when I asked why, I was told it was to " stop the fraudulent use of them"

I know my hubby couldn't go and fetch it now, and it has to be signed for, but looking at it I can't see a way it would stop someone "fraudulently" using it..:huh:

Anyone got one of the new ones, can you tell me how it would stop someone using it that shouldn't?

They're now a digitised and printed plastic rather than a photograph on a hand written card sealed in laminating film, and this makes it very much harder to substitute a photograph and also means that the whole country's blue badge allocation is monitored and issued from one central point, making it harder to apply for more than one badge from different neighbouring authorities in order to use one or other badge fraudulently.

The badges are also now issued until specific dates rather than for a blanket 3 years, which is how they used to be issued. If your DLA is awarded until 30 June 2014 (for instance) then your new blue badge will be issued until the same day, rather than for 3 years that may not coincide on dates.

Obelix, you now cannot go and collect them any more. They are issued centrally now and get sent out by post to the applicant.

They're now a digitised and printed plastic rather than a photograph on a hand written card sealed in laminating film, and this makes it very much harder to substitute a photograph and also means that the whole country's blue badge allocation is monitored and issued from one central point, making it harder to apply for more than one badge from different neighbouring authorities in order to use one or other badge fraudulently.

The badges are also now issued until specific dates rather than for a blanket 3 years, which is how they used to be issued. If your DLA is awarded until 30 June 2014 (for instance) then your new blue badge will be issued until the same day, rather than for 3 years that may not coincide on dates.

Obelix, you now cannot go and collect them any more. They are issued centrally now and get sent out by post to the applicant.

Ok thanks for the info, yes I had to sign for mine today...

Ah that's fine then - I can get it next time I'm on driving duty since it'll get sent to her house.

Archived