Are Boots pharmacists going too far

As i work in pharmacy i am aware of a new scheme that has been rolled out working in partnership with GP surgerys called a 'New medicines intervention'. This is where anyone that is taking a new medicine is contacted by the pharmacist on 3 occasions to discuss how they are getting on with the new meds, if they have any concerns/ reactions. This is supposed to reduce time wasted in GP surgerys by people going back because a new medicine is 'not working/ causing problems' that can easily be resolved by a pharmacist giving advice about any interactions it may be having with other tablets or even just changing the time of day that people are taking medicines. Pharmacys store a lot of information about people on their computer systems which helps detect drug interactions etc and also helps us help you with medicines that are to be sold over the counter etc.

This happened to me (Sainsbury's pharmacy) and the pharmacist said exactly the above.

Now does the pharmacist just phone to remind you of making an appointment or does he/she ask about how you are getting on with your meds you were prescribed aswell?

As i work in pharmacy i am aware of a new scheme that has been rolled out working in partnership with GP surgerys called a 'New medicines intervention'. This is where anyone that is taking a new medicine is contacted by the pharmacist on 3 occasions to discuss how they are getting on with the new meds, if they have any concerns/ reactions. This is supposed to reduce time wasted in GP surgerys by people going back because a new medicine is 'not working/ causing problems' that can easily be resolved by a pharmacist giving advice about any interactions it may be having with other tablets or even just changing the time of day that people are taking medicines. Pharmacys store a lot of information about people on their computer systems which helps detect drug interactions etc and also helps us help you with medicines that are to be sold over the counter etc.

Maybe the pharmacist is just doing a job he/she has been asked to do and doesn't realise that you may find it harrassing and maybe you should suggest that you no longer wat to be contacted the next time they call.

For staff in the healthcare section it can be quite useful to know what happens when people are referred on, so we can then help other patients that may ask in the future, It just keeps our knowledge up to date ;)

Not sure if this post addresses me (the op).

I had a chest infection for which I was prescribed a short course of antibiotics and steroids. The infection has completely cleared up. The gp said I should contact him if it did not. The suggestion of having breathing tests was just a throwaway afterthought really, given that I was really struggling to breathe at the time.

My breathing is now back to normal. I will make the appointment later though I doubt there is a need for it now.

Nothing about my circumstances seems to fit the scheme you mention, which I agree could be very useful for some people

For those who are happy to have more interaction with their pharmacist is fine, but for me at this time it is not appropriate.

Not sure if this post addresses me (the op).

I had a chest infection for which I was prescribed a short course of antibiotics and steroids. The infection has completely cleared up. The gp said I should contact him if it did not. The suggestion of having breathing tests was just a throwaway afterthought really, given that I was really struggling to breathe at the time.

My breathing is now back to normal. I will make the appointment later though I doubt there is a need for it now.

Nothing about my circumstances seems to fit the scheme you mention, which I agree could be very useful for some people

For those who are happy to have more interaction with their pharmacist is fine, but for me at this time it is not appropriate.

I though it could relate to what i said in my other post and that you may not be aware of the scheme but as you explained on this occasion it does not so i cannot give you an explanation for them contacting you, maybe just ask them not to contact you further with regards to this matter and if they continue it's harrassment and may be worth giving their HR a call to report it.

Seems like there's a running message going on here :

If you don't want to be hassled or pestered don't go to Boots Pharmacies or opticians ?

But if want a pharmacist who shows some interest in your well being then do use boots.

It was 9am and I had got home at 3am, and the appointment was for an eye test mid week.It was a recorded message. Why would anyone want to be woken up by a a call like that.

Exactly. It would be verbal warning, swiftly followed by physical warning if someone awoke me from my slumber.

Archived