Wado Ryu Karate Schools in Sheffield

bleeptwist

Hello everyone,

I did Wado Ryu karate years ago. I got to purple belt (one away from first brown) but eventually finished when my instructor went away to India for a year :mad:

I'd LOVE to take it back up again, but starting where I left off. I can remember most katas, the Japanese terms, basic moves and combinations. I've retained my flexibility too. I teach MMA circuits and boxercise, but it would be nice earn a black belt too. I was very dedicated for years :thumbsup:

I'm looking for the old-school Okinowaian (spelling??) style. Is there a Sheffield-based school that might be willing to re-teach me purple belt upwards? I'd be happy and willing to prove that I can remember MOST of what I was taught. I feel pretty confident!!

Any help / suggestions would be much appreicated!

Thanks

ROB

Hi Rob

I don't think Wado Ryu is a traditionally Okinawan form of karate but I could be wrong. In my opinion Wado ryu is an interesting system, more so than say Shotokan. Good luck in your search for a traditional old style system because many of the Wado people have morphed into kick boxing and the traditional arts and way of practising are no longer in vogue. I'm sure they're out there somewhere, but the Japanese instructors who passed their knowledge onto a generation of karateka in the 1960s and 1970s are long gone as have their inheritors,

You're obviously in good shape, but I don't know how long it is since you trained so don't be in too much of a rush to get through the belts, better to acquire a good knowledge of kata and bunkai etc.

If you want to train in "old" style traditional karate you might want to look at Go Ju ryu, there are several good clubs in Sheffield.

I'd also be interested to know what's out there in the Wado world

Hi Rob,

We run a karate club, just opened on a Thursday 6.30-7.30, first lesson free. The style is Wado Ryu, you can join as a purple belt. Pop down and see us Thursday and we can discuss everything or call me on 07428792833.

We are at:

Wadsley Church Hall

Worral Road

Sheffield

S6 4BB

Many Thanks,

Sensei Danny (Black belt, 2nd Dan)

• 3 months later...

hi i do wado ryu with sensei stan arbouin formerly of london rd, we now train at carlton road hillsborough, just off middlewood road on tues 7-9 fri 6-8, all welcome.

visit; ewma karate & kickboxing .co.uk

or facebook ewma karate

• 2 weeks later...

Archived