God Believers. Do you ever question your faith?

How would atheists get on in similar situation ? Would they ignore the religious friend ? Tell her, never mind, he's not in pain and that should be enough ? Take a good look as you'll never see him again and to think otherwise is foolish ? This paragraph is a bit tongue in cheek, but I'm not what you could say apart from "well, he had a good innings"

Situations like that there is only so much you can say - and I think that goes whether you are religious or not. I wouldn't ignore her, I'd be there to give her support and a shoulder to cry on. I'd let comments like "he's in heaven now" ride.

...........two nuns cycling down a cobbled street. "ive never come this way before screams the first nun" ?." must be the cobbles " her friend replies

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 22:20 ----------

teenage kid asks his dad the local vicar if he can borrow the car " not till you get your hair cut and get the silly beard shaved off " retorts the dad. " but jesus had long hair and a beard " the son tried to reason..." yes and he walked everywhere too " said dad

...........two nuns cycling down a cobbled street. "ive never come this way before screams the first nun" ?." must be the cobbles " her friend replies

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 22:20 ----------

teenage kid asks his dad the local vicar if he can borrow the car " not till you get your hair cut and get the silly beard shaved off " retorts the dad. " but jesus had long hair and a beard " the son tried to reason..." yes and he walked everywhere too " said dad

Are you saying that questioning faith is akin to experiencing poor jokes and then realising thet you don't have to force laughter any more to court social acceptance?

Lots to go at in this thread, most of which I'm ignoring because it seems to be the usual superiority battle (on both sides of the fence) between Theists and those who don't like religion.

This however, for me is an interesting question.

I am (if you ignore the subtleties) an atheist. I am also religious. My two closest friends (beyond my wife) are totally different. One is a practicing Muslim and most definately believes in God.

The other is a gay woman and doesn't have any inclination towards religion at all.

I would say atheists can, and do easily mix with the religious. both believers (in religion, not necessarily God) and the non religious (a wider reaching view of your question beyond atheism) are made up of people. Their are idiots, nutters, arrogant so and so's, humble, kind and open hearted amongst every group of people.

I think like minded people gravitate towards each other. Like minded Christians mix with like minded Christians, like minded atheists with like minded atheists, like minded non religious with like minded religious.

I lost my Dad on Sunday. My religion doesn't offer comfort of the 'they've gone to a better place' kind. What it does do is trains you to analyse the feelings and nature of those feelings as they are arising. I loved my Dad beyond words but have not suffered due to his passing. The more difficult thing for me has been watching my non religious family going through the pain of loss and trying to refrain from 'preaching' (something I would never normally do) to them during this difficult time. It is exceptionally difficult to hold your tongue when you see so much pain and you believe (and experience) a way beyond suffering. I can't speak for other religions but I believe that in part that is the power that faith gives to all religions.

Faith, in Buddhism at least, is not a 'comfort' in the base way most non religious people speak of it - it is a transformative power that genuinely relieves, or even goes beyond suffering.

I don't know because as I say I am atheist and religious. I know that my religious friends have had a far greater understanding of what has happened than my non religious friends - why, I don't know - and it certainly isn't a reflection of the calibre of my non religious friends, they have tried, but they just seem to be lacking in something, an understanding, or a learned (or innate?) ability to grasp death in a much more peaceful way.

Just as an aside, and I'm sure those who regularly converse with me will already be aware, when I say religious here I don't mean people who merely identify themselves as religious - I'm talking about earnest, humble people who's faith is genuine and open hearted - not idiots who run around with bombs or stand on street corners trying to convert people while rubbing their hands together while the coffers are being filled.

Thinking of you and yours Richard - take care.

Are you saying that questioning faith is akin to experiencing poor jokes and then realising thet you don't have to force laughter any more to court social acceptance?

and are you suggesting had the jokes been of higher quality then the entrance to your supposed high society might be more forthcoming...or was it the the fact the jesus joke offended your choice of avatar

and are you suggesting had the jokes been of higher quality then the entrance to your supposed high society might be more forthcoming...or was it the the fact the jesus joke offended your choice of avatar

Do you know what my avatar is?

Archived