Average Speed Cameras on the motorway

Have you or anyone you know been sent a ticket for speeding through the roadworks on the M62 or M1

I'm not condoning speeding or wishing to speed myself but Chris Evans mentioned on radio2 the other day that he never takes any notice of them and he has never been sent a ticket and it got me thinking - not one of my friends, family or colleagues have ever mentioned being caught by them?

Are they real or just another deterrent?

I carefully average 50mph on road works areas on motorways with the big yellow temporary cameras. At night, without exception, I'm overtaken by hgvs doing 56mph. The signs are clear, equally clear when the cameras aren't turned on, but I'm sure I've read of fines. Hgv drivers know something I don't !!!

They can probably do the maths of 10% +2, and figure that since 56 is < 57, there is little chance that they will get a ticket.

DT - the OP was talking about average cameras during roadworks, not cameras where a variable limit exists.

The average speed cameras on the motorway (currently) only work when a reduced speed limit is in force.

Sorry I should have made it more clear, I'm talking about the 50mph average speed limit through the roadworks, especially on the M62.

Sorry I should have made it more clear, I'm talking about the 50mph average speed limit through the roadworks, especially on the M62.

As far as I know, the cameras are turned on to protect the workers - every now and again a worker is killed, so the contractors are very keen that speed enforcement is in place.

Just out of interest, have any workers been killed while a 50 mph limit was in force by someone doing less than 50 mph?

One Balfour Beatty worker was killed in a 40 zone by a driver prattling about with his phone, changing lane whilst almost exceeding the limit, it was reckoned at inquest. Whether the pedestrian on his side of the cones was hit at or below the posted limit is quite irrelevant.

The average speed works by allowing, more often than not, a steady flow of traffic at a uniform speed with little incentive for overtaking and lane changes, often with narrower than normal lanes. Such traffic calming (- message: let's ALL take it steady through here and chill - there's no point in jostling for position in this queue) makes a traffic here/pedestrians here situation much more manageable - so the speed, whilst important, is not the only consideration as per http://www.htma.co.uk/smartweb/hot-topics/road-worker-safety.

When I bought one of my cars I received a whole selection of speeding tickets just after registering it in my name. All of them were from the months prior to buying the car and I could prove that I wasn't the keeper at the time so that was that.

Three of them were from average speed cameras that were in operation for a few weeks on one stretch of the A38, so at least a selection of the cameras actually do send out tickets.

the problem with the cameras is that they can be turned on and set at any speed above the posted limit, so its a gamble going through over the posted limit.

the average speed (SPECS) cameras are the sort used on roadworks, and are signed 'Average Speed Check' They may well be set not to fine until you are doing 70, but you dont know!

the speed cameras on the M1 near Nottingham are HADECS cameras and only do a spot measurement, therefore, pass 3 of them above the set point, and you could get 3 speeding tickets. These change their setpoint depending on the variable speed limit and when no limit is displayed, they can and do still send out tickets, but again, the setpoint isnt known.

Lots of fixed cameras are set to trigger lots over the speed limit, just a gamble as to what it is, and if its been changed

Archived