Average Speed Cameras on the motorway

Sometimes, but other times there are just some cones stood on the hard shoulder and a 50 limit still being enforced.

Could it just be that there is a cost and danger in removing or covering the signing every night and replacing it every morning? Obviously that wouldn’t apply in the case of overhead electronic speed signs.

Does anyone know if people undertaking road works have ever stated why they keep restrictions in place even when they’re not actually working? Just a thought – I wonder if it might be a blanket allowance they are given which allows one period of a change of speed, so they cannot stop/start it? Alternatively whether the authorities who allow the change of speed during roadworks could actually force the workers to return to normal speed at the end of each working day?

Does anyone know the ins and outs of managing these speed changes?

It could be, but then you see stretches that aren't worked on for several weeks and are left like that as well... They already moved all the cones, couldn't they have put up a "cameras not in use" sign at the same time?

It could well be a legal thing, in which case the legislation should be updated.

Have you or anyone you know been sent a ticket for speeding through the roadworks on the M62 or M1

I'm not condoning speeding or wishing to speed myself but Chris Evans mentioned on radio2 the other day that he never takes any notice of them and he has never been sent a ticket and it got me thinking - not one of my friends, family or colleagues have ever mentioned being caught by them?

Are they real or just another deterrent?

Son was caught doing 58mph on a Sunday night on that stretch, it’s a bit daft that they apply a law which is meant to increase safety to road workers when the workers aren’t’ actual there doing any work, but he did a speed awareness cause which hopefully taught him to pay more attention to the road and speed limits.

Well, if you don't want to pay the fine, do just under the speed limit. Its not like you get to a play any quicker when the traffic bunches up again at the next bottle neck or trafic light.

Have you even bothered to read Maxmaximus's post before starting your santimonious diatribe?

Son was caught doing 58mph on a Sunday night on that stretch, it’s a bit daft that they apply a law which is meant to increase safety to road workers when the workers aren’t’ actual there doing any work

See post 29. I don't think it's just to protect the workforce.

I would say that the cameras/restrictions were still on the previously mentioned Nottingham stretch of the M1 for some months after the work had finished, if it is a legal requirement for a time period drivers could be made aware of this, as it stands it looks like an attempt to raise an extra bit of revenue.

Archived