The Leadmill - not impressed.

Geoff

let's face it, leadmill is the only place in south yorkshire where you can see decent bands

if you wan't the best bands, you've got to pay for it

tickets are usually around the £10 mark, which isn't bad, and £2.40 a pint although not cheap, is hardly extortionate

like someone said, you're looking at £4 for a bottle of tart-fuel in the kingdom, and that's only on a club night

you go to the leadmill on a monday, and a bottle of lager costs 75p, wednesday and it's 50p for a vodka shot - of course it's going to be more expensive on a saturday night, with a gig on

they have to make money - it's a business

i prefer it like that - pay for the good bands, it's how they make up for the loss of profit on cheap nights

also, to say they only play cheesy music is completely false. they have three rooms and play almost every taste in music they could

there are different nights with different themes, they play indie, pop, r&b, they have metally-punky-grungy bands on and they even play 60's soul or funk and stuff like that in the smaller rooms

well, my girlfriend is living in cambridge for the year and having spent quite a bit of time down there, all i can say is thank god i don't have to pay £6 for a smirnoff ice and listen to a mixture of abba, generic seventies disco drivel and modern dancepoptrancehop toss every weekend

thank god for the leadmill and casbah!

I used to love the leadmill in my student days. I was a regular at some of th cheap mid-week student nights and regularly went to weekend nights like rise, joyrider and step on. Also saw plenty of quality bands there. It was a top place, nice and chilled out, top vibes inside and great music.

The weekend nights there are now more cheesy top 40 stuff and it doesn't have the same vibe and people as times gone by.

Oh well, another once great Sheffield venue bites the dust...

At the risk of sounding like an old soap dodger ;), I've been to the Leadmill for about 20 years and its currently the worst its ever been imo.

I went to one single gig there in 2003, they seem to have lost their pulling power to book decent bands. I think Sheffield always gets overlooked due to Leeds and Manchester though, which is not the Leadmill's fault.

As for club nights...lol no thanks! The last times I've been down there its degenerated into a total meat market full of the checked shirt brigade.

Besides the dance scene, the only club I bother with now is the Corporation which is good for alt/rock acts.

Archived