Assistance with NHS complaint

This didn't happen in Sheffield

I'm utterly fuming at our experience in a walk in centre operating as an out of hours service at the time of our visit

(anybody who tells me to lump it is missing the point)

I can quite understand how patients are seen in order based on clinical need, so although the 4 hour wait with a two year old was frustrating, I'm not grumbling about that here. I have begun digging, and found that

12. Face-to-face consultations (whether in a centre or in the patient’s place of residence) must be started within the following timescales, after the definitive clinical assessment has been completed: Emergency: Within 1 hour. Urgent: Within 2 hours. Less urgent: Within 6 hours

My complaint is that after 3 hours of waiting, with a child with a suspected urine infection (which requires a conscious effort at fluid intake), I asked for a drink of water, and was presented with a plastic cup and told to 'get it from the toilet. It's all the same water. I can't be running backwards and forwards to the kitchen'

Having read the standards of service document, to find that a six hour wait is supposedly acceptable, I'm even more angry that sick and vulnerable people are expected to do without food or water whilst they wait for an unspecified length of time for 'care'

Leaving site to service basic human needs would forfeit the place in the queue

Whoever wrote this service document really hasn't considered its implications. These are people, not statistics

Suggestions as to who to complain to and links to any further reading are what I'm after. Please don't take this off topic into a general NHS rant

You still need to clarify as to exactly what your complaint is.

Impolite behaviour?

Rules being broken (can't see that here).

Wrongly drafted regulations?

Something else?

I think it's with the rules themselves, as outlined in the service document.

I guess this is probably the best place to go for complaints: http://www.nhs.uk/choiceinthenhs/rightsandpledges/complaints/pages/nhscomplaints.aspx

My complaint is with the lack of facilities for the most basic of human needs

Nope - no vending machine, no water fountain (as would normally be found in a similar facility in Sheffield). There is a tea bar run by volunteers for limited hours. It had closed at half 3, we'd arrived at 4.45, and were eventually seen at 8.45

If no person was expected to be there more than an hour, fine.

The fact that the service document states that patients are expected to be there for up to six hours, but no facilities are provided to facilitate that is my objection

Seems like facilities were provided though (cup was given and you were told which tap to use)?

So, your complaint seems to be that you don't like drinking water that has come from the toilet tap. A legitimate point perhaps, but your argument shouldn't be that facilities aren't in place, but rather that the facilities that were in place weren't up to the standard that you anticipated.

My complaint is with the lack of facilities for the most basic of human needs

Nope - no vending machine, no water fountain (as would normally be found in a similar facility in Sheffield). There is a tea bar run by volunteers for limited hours. It had closed at half 3, we'd arrived at 4.45, and were eventually seen at 8.45

If no person was expected to be there more than an hour, fine.

The fact that the service document states that patients are expected to be there for up to six hours, but no facilities are provided to facilitate that is my objection

I think you are being a bit petty tbh.

I hope your kids ok though but seriously, its not much to complain about really.

While it would have been very annoying and potentially distressing at the time I'd tend to agree with the others. There's no genuine complaint here apart from inconvenience.

Is there any special reason why you didn't just take the child to your GP for an appointment as per normal procedure?

Archived