Dryathlon - what a stupid idea!

It's not stupid at all. Plenty of people have a dry January and plenty more think about it and will appreciate the incentive.

Somewhere along the way Cancer Research raises few quid and raises awareness of the cancerous effects of alcohol.

It seems to from the above that the people who don't like it are the ones who appear to think that chucking a quid in the charity pot requires somebody else to go through the portals of purgatory.

Heaven forfend that somebody should give money to charity just because they want to. Just get yer hands in yer pockets anyway!

why sponsor someone to do something they should be doing anyway.

how about a sponsored not smoking crack month? I can do that with no effort too!

I regularly go months between glasses of wine, so it really wouldn't be a hardship for me to forgo alcohol for a month.

As Tony says, I'm not the sort of person who requires either a bribe (raffle prize) or for someone else to do something horrible to donate to charity. I don't buy raffle tickets- I just donate to a charity if I believe in the cause and can afford it. If I can't afford it then no amount of cajoling, shaving your head or running marathons will make me be able to donate though.

why sponsor someone to do something they should be doing anyway.

how about a sponsored not smoking crack month? I can do that with no effort too!

I am hoping to launch a sponsored inhalathon where people have to breathe nonstop for a specified time-period.

i'm all for raising money for good causes and a part of me thinks anything which raises the profile of, and funds for, such charities has to be a good thing - it is arguable that someone may sponsor someone for doing something (not shaving your top lip, not drinking alcohol etc) who wouldn't otherwise contribute to charity, but i do struggle otherwise to see the justification in asking for sponsorship for something which occurs naturally - what next, Febreathery? please sponsor me to keep breathing for the whole of next month (i'd probably raise more if i promised not to)

if the person seeking sponsorship for having a "dry" january is also donating a sum equivalent to the amount they would otherwise have spent on alcohol then i can see an argument in favour

I think it is a premature form of Lent where one forgoes alcohol.It is very silly as many people such as muslims and Methodists are excluded not to mention Morons such as Mitt Romney and the Osmonds.

oh, I don't know. I'd be happy to take part, and spend the next month not drinking any alcohol:- I'm teetotal, and have been for some time, so it'd not make any difference to me :D lol

Ah...Just googled it!...Staying off booze for a month!!!!..WHAT!!!!???

I won't be partaking in that bit of nonsense!..Eeeeeek!

I bet Muslims do well at it.

A lot of these sponsorship ideas are a bit daft. I was once asked to donate to a sponsored walk on the Great Wall of China. The idea was to raise around £2k in sponsorship of which £1800 went to paying for the trip.

I also went to watch someone on a sponsored bungee jump. Again it required around £50 to be raised of which £40 was in fees. Unfortunately the poor lass bottled it before jumping and the generous company refused to reinburse the cost of the non jump, so the sponsors shelled out for almost nothing. I usually find it best to make a donation direct with gift aid rather than paying the free loaders, and chuggers.

oh, I don't know. I'd be happy to take part, and spend the next month not drinking any alcohol:- I'm teetotal, and have been for some time, so it'd not make any difference to me :D lol

Like I said many people would be excluded,limiting its potential.It would be more sensible before NYE.

Has anyone else been asked to sponsor someone for the Cancer Research UK Dryathlon?

I refused as its not an achievement what so ever! You sponsor someone to do something that takes effort, not to not do something! I'm thinking of starting my own called Caviarathlon. People can sponsor me not to each Caviar for a month if they like.

Is this the way charity sponsorship will go from now on?

Edit: Link added: http://www.dryathlon.org.uk/

don't know what this is but from the explanation above it sounds very much like movember-why would I sponsor someone not to shave:loopy:

Archived