Guernsey bans smoking in island's prison

why complain about complainers im going to complain about you complaining about complainers

And for my part I will complain about people who complain about people who complain about people who smoke.

It has a particular resonance for me since I recently became a non smoker due to my ticker saying bugger this for a lark I'm jacking it in matey.

Anyway, each to their own...although the temptation to be a "born again" non smoker is attractive when some chuff blows smoke in your face.

why complain about complainers im going to complain about you complaining about complainers

Cheers I'm so mad, I've complained about myself

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 18:26 ----------

And for my part I will complain about people who complain about people who complain about people who smoke.

It has a particular resonance for me since I recently became a non smoker due to my ticker saying bugger this for a lark I'm jacking it in matey.

Anyway, each to their own...although the temptation to be a "born again" non smoker is attractive when some chuff blows smoke in your face.

Stick with it Swami I'm just over 7 years stopped, and if you look at username you'll guess why, but it is people's choice if they want to smoke. I had to quit the hard way, no help, no patches as was told they can induce further heart attacks.

Am I better for stopping smoking (health wise), losing weight and stopping drinking, no, but I'm still here I suppose that's summat. That said my problems weren't just down to smoking, in fact it was never directly blamed but I made the decision to stop, sometimes I do wonder though.

But I'll still defend those that want to smoke, as it is their right, I mean it's NOT illegal.:)

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 18:30 ----------

You seem to think that bypass is a smoker which he is not,but unlike some he can see things from both sides.

Cheers Gazza, I have laid it out in post 22, but you're right I can see both sides, but when I was told I came within 1 week of dying and but for my surgery would have definitely died.

Now if someone wants to be childish and put things like Mr prime, that's up to them, it will be getting near their bedtime and having no homework, have to fill in the void.

Cheers for backing me up Gazza, but I am at a loss why people think I smoke, practically every post I've ever put up on the subject mention ex smoker, perhaps they struggle with the concept of "ex".

Seems irresponsible to me.

I'm not pretending to be an expert on prison economics but has anyone considered the financial aspect of this? Prisoners use cigarettes as currency if you ban smoking then you start to increase inflation. The beauty of cigarettes were that they were disposable currency, prisoners were literally burning their "wealth" so as the week or month went on they were becoming poorer and goods and services were becoming more valuable. It was a perfect micro economy. That isn't going to happen anymore, now tender is going to become worth less as there is less opportunity to get rid of it so there is a lot more of it. Prices will rise and goods and services will become more expensive. Prison economies will suffer and prisoners will become unhappy and guards will become unhappy.

What is going to have to happen is that prisoners are going to have to find a more valuable commodity that is disposable, valuable, rare, exchangable, universally appealing, not risky enough to land you in trouble if you get caught with it and small enough to smuggle to use instead of cigarettes. My guess would be chocolate

Cheers I'm so mad, I've complained about myself

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 18:26 ----------

Stick with it Swami I'm just over 7 years stopped, and if you look at username you'll guess why, but it is people's choice if they want to smoke. I had to quit the hard way, no help, no patches as was told they can induce further heart attacks.

Am I better for stopping smoking (health wise), losing weight and stopping drinking, no, but I'm still here I suppose that's summat. That said my problems weren't just down to smoking, in fact it was never directly blamed but I made the decision to stop, sometimes I do wonder though.

But I'll still defend those that want to smoke, as it is their right, I mean it's NOT illegal.:)

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 18:30 ----------

Cheers Gazza, I have laid it out in post 22, but you're right I can see both sides, but when I was told I came within 1 week of dying and but for my surgery would have definitely died.

Now if someone wants to be childish and put things like Mr prime, that's up to them, it will be getting near their bedtime and having no homework, have to fill in the void.

Cheers for backing me up Gazza, but I am at a loss why people think I smoke, practically every post I've ever put up on the subject mention ex smoker, perhaps they struggle with the concept of "ex".

I'll be sticking with it and that's for sure. My heart attack was only 17 weeks ago halfway through a cigarette after breakfast.

After fitting the stents the surgeon told me that the next cigarette I smoked was very likely to be the one that killed me. Stopping is easy after that!

I agree with you entirely that it is a matter of personal choice!

I'll be sticking with it and that's for sure. My heart attack was only 17 weeks ago halfway through a cigarette after breakfast.

After fitting the stents the surgeon told me that the next cigarette I smoked was very likely to be the one that killed me. Stopping is easy after that!

I agree with you entirely that it is a matter of personal choice!

Your circumstances sound just like my mate at work Dave, he had one round the same time as you, take it easy, I got 4 bypasses & 6 stents in and 2 of the bypasses have failed, but others doing job for now.

I just take each day as it comes and I just go in now and again for an MOT, also now got heart failure.

Your circumstances sound just like my mate at work Dave, he had one round the same time as you, take it easy, I got 4 bypasses & 6 stents in and 2 of the bypasses have failed, but others doing job for now.

I just take each day as it comes and I just go in now and again for an MOT, also now got heart failure.

All my best wishes to you. :thumbsup:

You've got a kind heart though, all the best for 2013. ;)

You seem to think that bypass is a smoker which he is not,but unlike some he can see things from both sides.

What are these two sides? If a smoker walks in front of me and their blowback goes in my face as happens several times a day am I supposed to think "well I must see both sides"?

If I walked in front of them emitting sulphurous farts for several minutes that they had to smell would they see my right to do so?

What are these two sides? If a smoker walks in front of me and their blowback goes in my face as happens several times a day am I supposed to think "well I must see both sides"?

If I walked in front of them emitting sulphurous farts for several minutes that they had to smell would they see my right to do so?

As things stand you have to live with it I'm afraid...just like I do. The medication I'm on also renders me a killer farter so I could, if I so desired, retaliate. ;)

Archived