Can old TVs be re-used for anything?

I have two TVs that we are planning on taking to the tip. But before we do, i just wondered if they might possibly be of use to anyone?

One works but the colour has gone funny. Everything is red or green. The other doesn't switch on but i've been told it could easily be repaired. (Not sure how much this would cost to do though) We've already bought a new television so theres no point in us getting it repaired ourselves.

Shall i just take them to the tip or might somebody want them??

Just take them to the council recycling centre.

I took one a few weeks ago to Beighton, the chap said "put it with the others in that large walk-in skip over there" which I did and it was full of old style tvs. He said they were bound for Africa.

I took one a few weeks ago to Beighton, the chap said "put it with the others in that large walk-in skip over there" which I did and it was full of old style tvs. He said they were bound for Africa.

To reclaim the valuable elements from a TV set takes a lot of time the value of the materials at UK labour rates would exceed the recovery cost.

To reclaim the valuable elements from a TV set takes a lot of time the value of the materials at UK labour rates would exceed the recovery cost.

Leave one on the street in Sheff and somebody will take the copper. There are also businesses part recycling them over here.

Leave one on the street in Sheff and somebody will take the copper. There are also businesses part recycling them over here.

Are you for real? Flytipping is illegal why would you tell someone, not once but twice to leave TV's on the street :loopy:

I suggest taking them to the tip.

Offer them free to a good home on here.

If they worked I would! I wouldn't leave them outside as like a few people have said, they are likely to get smashed. Oh well, looks like they're off to the tip! Just thought I'd find out if they might be of any use to anyone before I took them.

Archived