Electrician advice needed0

There is no need to change a board just because it has requireable fuses, there are still disconnection times for rewireable fuses in the regs, it is highly recommended you change the board if it is wooden backed as it does not meet fire ratings.

the problem with supplying a price on a board change without seeing a job is that there maybe other issues that need attention.

As some one has already pointed out there could be neglegiable faults to earth that do not trip an MCB but would trip the RCDs that come out with 17th edition boards.

There is also the issue of earth bonding to gas and water services which my be undersized if even present at all. On top of this if the installation is pre 1989 (which as you describe from the board it may well be) then there is also the chance that the lighting circuit(s) are not earthed as this did not become compulsary before 1989.

An inspection and test, or an Electrical Installation Condition Report as it is now called under ammendment one of the regs would flag up any of these issues. if your landlord would like to get in touch i'd be more than happy to take a look for you.

Hi. My partner is living in a house that she has rented off her friend! All is well apart from the electrics! The fuses are the old style with fuse wire and its more or less a mix of one new style circuit breaker, 3 fuse wire fuses and one that's in a ceramic housing! Shouldn't this all be updated if in a rented house? Advice on this if you w:loopy:ill. Thanks

The landlord has a duty of care to the tenants and has a legal obligation by this to ensure that the electrical installation and any electrical equipment(cooker, fridge,washer etc..) supplied for the use under the tenancy agreement is fit/safe for continued service.

The method used to confirm this, unfortunately is not given. But in a court of law, I would find it very hard that a judge would be happy with anything less than a electrical installation condition report (EICR) for the hardwiring.

and PAT testing documents for the appliances.

The EICR would be required at least every 5 years depending on the condition of the existing installation and recommendation given in the the EICR (as the inspector may suggest that it is done in less than five years) and at change of occupancy, if less than that period given on the EICR.

There is nothing wrong or illegal with distribution boards, that have the old type fuse type installations or even having retro fitted mini circuit breaker in the board, providing they are fit/safe for continued service and rated accordingly to to the current rating of cable and demand of the circuit.

If you are in any doubt about the safety of the electrics, I would suggest you contact your landlord over your concerns. If you get no joy and are still unhappy then contact your local authority.

We would recommend updating fuse boards where possible as we believe they are safer. We did a bathroom where I got an electric shock from the piping. The circuit had been broken by a nail in a while which sent 89v through the whole house skirting boards, plumbing and heating pipe work walls boiler. I only came across it as I earthed my self from the pipe work to the wall and got a shock. It had been like this for years but the client had never noticed ?? If it had been a newer board it would have tripped out as soon as the nail when through.

It's around 100 for a test or 350 for a board which has to be tested anyway once it's installed. Any other faults in circuits are obviously chargeable

We would recommend updating fuse boards where possible as we believe they are safer. We did a bathroom where I got an electric shock from the piping. The circuit had been broken by a nail in a while which sent 89v through the whole house skirting boards, plumbing and heating pipe work walls boiler. I only came across it as I earthed my self from the pipe work to the wall and got a shock. It had been like this for years but the client had never noticed ?? If it had been a newer board it would have tripped out as soon as the nail when through.

It's around 100 for a test or 350 for a board which has to be tested anyway once it's installed. Any other faults in circuits are obviously chargeable

Why would you? There is no evidence that this installation is unsafe for continued service, if not broken why fix?

Get an inspection made that is what should be done anyway! Any issues can then be remarked upon and corrected then.

There is no eveidence that there are any faults, however, I can see where he's coming from an rcd as aposed to a rewireable fuse will limit both magnitude and duration of shock under fault conditions should one arise (it only takes some one to catch a cable while hanging a picture etc), and thus is inherently safer to upgrade. But as I said there is no requirement (as yet) to condem a bs3036 rewireable fuse.

Why would you? There is no evidence that this installation is unsafe for continued service, if not broken why fix?

Get an inspection made that is what should be done anyway! Any issues can then be remarked upon and corrected then.

I wasn't directly referring to the ops situation I was stating that they are safer and pick up more faults in circuits quicker than older boards. It's like saying a car from the 80's is better than a new one obviously they both serve a purpose to a degree but one does a better job than the other. I could have been seriously injured and lodged an injury claim with the home owner if I was that way inclined but instead we explained the situation they agreed if it had been a new board the fault would have been detected immediately. So as a savvy person they chose to upgrade to a safer board.

My point is if you are going to have a test at 100 which could condemn a board why not pay 250 more to get a new board when it comes with the same test and your property is a lot safer. This is starting to steer off the ops question which has been answered its not legal requirement to have the electrics tested more a moral one. If someone is seriously worried write to the landlord recorded mail give them 28 days to do a test if they won't pay for one yourself and if it comes back bad go after the landlord to sort it and reimburse you or if its good you have peace of mind

My point is if you are going to have a test at 100 which could condemn a board why not pay 250 more to get a new board when it comes with the same test and your property is a lot safer.

I understand where your coming from but taking the original post in to consideration here, do you think that most landlords would be willing to pay the extra £250+ out?

This is starting to steer off the ops question which has been answered its not legal requirement to have the electrics tested more a moral one. If someone is seriously worried write to the landlord recorded mail give them 28 days to do a test if they won't pay for one yourself and if it comes back bad go after the landlord to sort it and reimburse you or if its good you have peace of mind

Fair do and if it is unsatisfactory you can contact the local authority and they will insist that it is made safe. But beware of landlord-tenant disharmony!

Archived