Anyone recall a murder in the late 50s early 60s ?

I remember when I was a young girl hearing about a man who was working on either Hyde park flats or park hill in 1959/ 1960s murdered his lover and plastered her in the wall of a flat. He was hiding the affair from his wife his lover was going to spill the beans hence he murdered her. Does anyone else remember this

The story “as I” remember it, was that the builder used to meet his girlfriends at the “Tea Dances” at the City Hall and would take them back to the building site in Spital Lane to have his evil way with them. For some reason he killed this one, hung her up with his tie in a cavity in the building and plastered her in. Years later the builder was found drunk in, I think, Nottingham and confessed to the crime. At first the police did not believe him but he insisted he had done the crime and the Sheffield police were contacted. The Sheffield police did a search of the building with a dog, could not find the body and suspected it was a hoax. The builder insisted he had done the murder and in the end he was brought up to Sheffield and told the police where to look and they found the body still hanging by his tie.

As I said, this happened some years ago and my memory is not what it used to be but the basics are correct.

The story “as I” remember it, was that the builder used to meet his girlfriends at the “Tea Dances” at the City Hall and would take them back to the building site in Spital Lane to have his evil way with them. For some reason he killed this one, hung her up with his tie in a cavity in the building and plastered her in. Years later the builder was found drunk in, I think, Nottingham and confessed to the crime. At first the police did not believe him but he insisted he had done the crime and the Sheffield police were contacted. The Sheffield police did a search of the building with a dog, could not find the body and suspected it was a hoax. The builder insisted he had done the murder and in the end he was brought up to Sheffield and told the police where to look and they found the body still hanging by his tie.

As I said, this happened some years ago and my memory is not what it used to be but the basics are correct.

Hell's bells, never heard that one before, it's quite a shocker! Very interesting though.

I remember when I was a young girl hearing about a man who was working on either Hyde park flats or park hill in 1959/ 1960s murdered his lover and plastered her in the wall of a flat. He was hiding the affair from his wife his lover was going to spill the beans hence he murdered her. Does anyone else remember this

From what you say its more than likely the murderer was hung for his crime?

Yes this man was called Brian Lee he was a plasterer working on the flats at spital hill he did kill a woman and he put her under the stairs and plasterered it up ,, however he gave himself up to the police not long after , he didnt get the death sentence because the woman in question had been tormenting him to leave his wife or she was going to spill the beansabout their affair. The womans husband never reported her as a missing person as she had run off before so in court it came out what kind of a person she was so in these circumstances the judge sentenced Brian Lee to life .. I worked with him when he came out of prison and he was a decent bloke contrary to what people may think . he left sheffield and moved down southto start a buisiness but not heard of him since although he was a legend in the plastering trade.

Yes this man was called Brian Lee he was a plasterer working on the flats at spital hill he did kill a woman and he put her under the stairs and plasterered it up ,, however he gave himself up to the police not long after , he didnt get the death sentence because the woman in question had been tormenting him to leave his wife or she was going to spill the beansabout their affair. The womans husband never reported her as a missing person as she had run off before so in court it came out what kind of a person she was so in these circumstances the judge sentenced Brian Lee to life .. I worked with him when he came out of prison and he was a decent bloke contrary to what people may think . he left sheffield and moved down southto start a buisiness but not heard of him since although he was a legend in the plastering trade.

It wasn't him who killed Maid Marion was it?

wow thanks everyone for the info, i know i wasnt dreaming it!! another murder which was much nearer to my home was a lad who i was friends with i think his name was phillip, was murdered by his father, his mum to was bludgeoned to death to. if i remember it was around 1959, the father was released from a mental institution and not long after he murdered his family. this took place on stannington rd . i was 9 at the time and my mum had to take me to stay with my granny cos i was very upset. there was no counselling in those days ...anyone else recall this?

A legend - you don't say!

Are the flats still there?