Get to the gym or lose benefits!

Be more forthcoming Max and give us your secrets. Not calling you a liar but you do pull the Unfortunate down all your posts indicate so Sorry only you can change that

You dont understand Government Capping on Council Benefits ? Should you be commenting on here ?

I don't pull the unfortunate down, I try to encourage you to work and get yourself a better life and I understand now you included Council Benefits on the end of it.

As I stated in my earlier post, anyone overweight attending a gym should seek medical advice prior to taking any exercise.

Moost of the gyms I have joned, both here and abroad, have qualfied trainers who would advise you on a suitable program. I cetainly would not advise anyone to get on a treadmill expecting the same performance as Usain Bolt.

Not wishing to get involved in a political or racist argument, but why blame the current government for the recent job losses when the previous government create many non-essential jobs, and also allowed many foreigners to take up jobs which british people could do.

There is a worldwide recession at the moment, which could go into a third stage, and the government has to do something to cut down expenditure.

As Norman stated years ago "Get on your bike".

Going to the gym - maybe for and hour or 2 twice a week - would do most people no harm and would possibly make them fitter for work.

I do admire the disabled gentleman mentioned in an earlier post, who was unable to work but spent some of his time collecting litter.

I also admire Sheffdon, who is not afraid to get off his backside to look for a better job.

Perhaps some members could use them as an example.

The deal is called insurance with compensation forthcoming ie when unemployed hence the term NI contributions.The payment is an entitlement,and you qualify by being unemployed.It is a situation benefit.

NI is not a hypothecated tax, but if it were it would be paying for the NHS, in fact, it wouldn't cover the cost, nor would it cover the cost of state pensions.

There is no reason that the situational benefit cannot be "unemployed, looking for work, doing regular exercise". It's certainly not sufficient to be just "unemployed" is it.

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 10:15 ----------

cyclone does not get it, people have worked nearly all their lives paid NI tax and due to circumstances beyond their control lose their jobs, reduancy, ill health

Not a JSA issue if you are medically retired

, accidents from work
or injured
, industrial diseases
or medically retired again.
caused again by work, but in his perfect world none of this happens, he probably believes they myth of the three generation family that have never worked which the Joseph Rowntree foundation proved just a lie to whip more hatred against the unemployed and anyone can lose their job at any time

So what, why does this mean that they shouldn't (if obese) be required to do some exercise? They're already being given a free gym pass, now they are just being asked to use it.

and just because you are slim does not mean you are healthy as i know from when I was slim, never actually exerisced or ate a healthy diet just genes that made me slim

Sounds like a good argument to require all JSA claimants to go to the gym, not just the obese ones.

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 10:17 ----------

you wont, really you wont.

And before you go off on one - do some research pal, this is right there in my field.

How will you not. It's a pretty simple formula, calories out > calories in results in weight loss.

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 10:21 ----------

sorry cyclone but healthy diet and low weight do not always go together

I don't believe I claimed that they did. A healthy diet makes it easier though.

as said before was underweight until age 35 due to age put on a stone

now do eat healthy but cannot shift that extra half a stone

and no not obese

You're eating more than you need then.

and why do you think that people should be told what to spend money on

FREE GYM MEMBERSHIP.

Seriously, is it difficult to actually understand what is being discussed before you comment?

paid into a system from age 15 to present called Ni and Tax systems

never mind you can be the first one to build the workhouses

Yes, being told to go to the gym is just like a workhouse, stop being hysterical and go and actually read what Westminster council have proposed.

and then you can install the gas chambers as the way things are going in another 10 years there will be no national health service

Godwins law.

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 10:23 ----------

sorry but it did not and

do not eat that much now

it is age that plays a part

we are not a one size fits all

worry, stress can all play a part in weigh gain loss

nervous energy happens as well

people on certain medications will put on weight fact of life

Completely nonsense.

As has already been pointed out, you don't see worried middle aged fat people in countries with food shortages. They're more worried than you though, just as middle aged, but they eat less.

maybe a little bit off thread but just had a look at some weight watchers meals by heinz

still trying to figure out why their hotpot meal has sugar in it

never put sugar in a stew in my life so why? have any of you and been cooking for a good many years

is one the mysteries of the universe

so much for healthy diet food

I specifically said on about page 2 that "low fat" and diet food is not the same as healthy food.

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 10:27 ----------

These people make me laugh who have got thousands of posts, if you worked you wouldnt comment, get of your arses and get job, its boring .

I'm self employed thanks and it's Sunday today!

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 10:30 ----------

This seems to have changed in topic from why shouldn't the obese job seekers also be required to do some exercise, to "it's hard to find a job", this is true, and "I can't loose weight, it's not my fault", this is not true.

There is no reason that the situational benefit cannot be "unemployed, looking for work, doing regular exercise". It's certainly not sufficient to be just "unemployed" is it.

Would certainly look good on a CV.

Sounds like a good argument to require all JSA claimants to go to the gym, not just the obese ones.

"Healthy body - healthy mind"

This seems to have changed in topic from why shouldn't the obese job seekers also be required to do some exercise, to "it's hard to find a job", this is true, and "I can't loose weight, it's not my fault", this is not true.

You have really stirred up a hornet's nets here.

I'd would slightly disagree with you on your last comment.

Whilst I'm sure a lot of overweight people could lose weight, there are some, possibly with gastric problems, who may find it difficult. Saying that, I can see no reason why they should not take gentle exercise, and that excludes lifting a pint.

Any overweight person should seek medical advice before visiting a gym.

As anyone mentioned the cost to the NHS (taxpayer) of the special equipment the hospitals are having to employ to deal with the obese?

For instance larger strengthened beds, extra wide seating,extra strong and larger wheel chairs, heavy lifting gear,

adapted ambulances, bad backs with `Patient collection and take home ambulance staff`.

If this was to be compulsary then why not simply give the person an additional £60 a month in benefits, they can then choose which gym they want to use.

With the £60 they could have a personal trainer 2 or 3 times in the month, they could choose to join a private gym, a bootcamp or the council facility.

Let them decide where they wish to spend that money.

Yes this is open to abuse as the obese person could slip the money to a private company, get them to tick the box saying they have attended and the private company pockets the cash.

Theres no difference to that than signing the person to the councils gyms for 12 months and the person never attending. It would be £60 down a black hole lost in the NHS, at least if a private fitness company had that £60 per month it would get spent back in the local economy and benefit other people/small businesses.

If this was to be compulsary then why not simply give the person an additional £60 a month in benefits, they can then choose which gym they want to use.

With the £60 they could have a personal trainer 2 or 3 times in the month, they could choose to join a private gym, a bootcamp or the council facility.

Let them decide where they wish to spend that money.

Yes this is open to abuse as the obese person could slip the money to a private company, get them to tick the box saying they have attended and the private company pockets the cash.

Theres no difference to that than signing the person to the councils gyms for 12 months and the person never attending. It would be £60 down a black hole lost in the NHS, at least if a private fitness company had that £60 per month it would get spent back in the local economy and benefit other people/small businesses.

Because they will be more likely to spend it getting fatter.

If they end up spending it on buns, then the bun shop owner will be very happy and perhaps looking at early retiremnet.

Yes but when the bun shop owner need NHS care they will have a long wait, because of all their ex customers needing NHS care, this will once again make them unhappy.:)

Archived