Get to the gym or lose benefits!

Unfortunatly there is...... if you have faired badly from the human gene pool

Remember when you were at School and there was always a couple in every year that were naturally fat? the ones who could not run, could not pay any sports, the ones who were un-coordinated? often the ones who were the victims of bullys?

Sadly there are people who are naturally fat, unfit and un coordinated. Ok they may have other strengths, they may be brilliant at maths, they could be brilliant entrepneurs, but sadly these people exsist.

In the same way there are very thin people with shocking, non exsistant fitness levels, again, people who are physically very weak but thankfully they have faired well from the human gene pool and a naturally very slim (and in many cases good looking, re supermodels)

There are natural well built people who are amazingly fit, just like there are stick thin people who have frightening strength levels.

Everyone is different and so yes there will be naturally fat and unfit people

That we must all be the same

Yes I remember a few of those and once they left school and started working they lost weight, body fat comes from eating to much and exercising to little, there is no biological process that can create fat from nothing, fat can only be stored in your body if you eat more food than you burn through exercise. If they had eaten less during their inactive youth they wouldn’t have been fat.

I agree that genetics play a part in how many calories each person needs to live, and two people can eat and exercise the same, and one be fat whilst the other is thin, but that is because the fat one is eating more than they need.

Unfortunatly there is...... if you have faired badly from the human gene pool

Remember when you were at School and there was always a couple in every year that were naturally fat? the ones who could not run, could not pay any sports, the ones who were un-coordinated? often the ones who were the victims of bullys?

Sadly there are people who are naturally fat, unfit and un coordinated. Ok they may have other strengths, they may be brilliant at maths, they could be brilliant entrepneurs, but sadly these people exsist.

In the same way there are very thin people with shocking, non exsistant fitness levels, again, people who are physically very weak but thankfully they have faired well from the human gene pool and a naturally very slim (and in many cases good looking, re supermodels)

There are natural well built people who are amazingly fit, just like there are stick thin people who have frightening strength levels.

Everyone is different and so yes there will be naturally fat and unfit people

---------- Post added 07-01-2013 at 17:32 ----------

That we must all be the same

Nobody is naturally obese, do not confuse obese with a bit on the porky side.

And equally nobody is saying we must all be the same, nobody is suggesting that everyone should be able to run a 4 minute mile (I wish I could). Or that we should all weigh a certain amount.

What they are suggesting is that being obese costs society a lot in medical bills (because people are not naturally obese, they are obese from eating too much and doing too little). And so if they are on benefits and being supported by society, they owe it to society to reduce their burden by loosing some weight.

I am 100% sure that it is correct for the majority of cases. There are a few exceptions, medical cases, people unable to do any exercise for some reason, but these form a very small % of the population of obese people.

are you a Dr or a dietitian?

I`m not but even I know your talking rubbish.

don`t worry, you go first.

The law of conservation of mass, also known as the principle of mass/matter conservation, states that the mass of an isolated system (closed to all transfers of matter and energy) will remain constant over time. This principle is equivalent to the conservation of energy: when energy or mass is enclosed in a system and none is allowed in or out, its quantity cannot otherwise change over time (hence, its quantity is "conserved" over time). The mass of an isolated system cannot be changed as a result of processes acting inside the system. The law implies that mass can neither be created nor destroyed, although it may be rearranged in space and changed into different types of particles; and that for any chemical process in an isolated system, the mass of the reactants must equal the mass of the products.

In other words the only way someone can gain weight it to consume food, and if their body doesn't convert that food to energy it will store it as fat, reduce the amount of food or increase the rate at which the body uses energy to a point where the amount consumed is converted to energy and a person won’t increase in weight, eat less food than there body requires and they will covert stored body fat to energy and lose weight.

don`t worry, you go first.

What are you wanting me to prove?

That obesity comes from consuming more calories than you expend? Shall I start with the basic theory of the conservation of energy and mass?

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Obesity/Pages/Causes.aspx

We could just reference the NHS.

Most cases of obesity are caused by eating too much and moving too little. If you consume high amounts of energy from your diet but do not burn off the energy through exercise and physical activity, the surplus energy will be turned into fat.

I suppose you could argue with them about it though if you wish.

Are there any other basic, self evident truths that you don't currently believe and that you'd like a reference for?

To expand on that

Lifestyle choices

Obesity does not just happen overnight, it develops gradually from poor diet and lifestyle choices.

For example, unhealthy food choices could be:

eating processed or fast food high in fat

not eating fruit, vegetables and unrefined carbohydrates, such as wholemeal bread and brown rice

drinking too much alcohol - alcohol contains a lot of calories, and heavy drinkers are often overweight

eating out a lot - you may have a starter or dessert in a restaurant, and the food can be higher in fat and sugar

eating larger portions than you need - you may be encouraged to eat too much if your friends or relatives are also eating large portions

comfort eating - if you feel depressed or have low self-esteem you may comfort eat to make yourself feel better

Unhealthy eating habits tend to run in families, as you learn bad eating habits from your parents.

Childhood obesity can be a strong indicator of weight-related health problems in later life, showing that learned unhealthy lifestyle choices continue into adulthood.

Lack of physical activity

Lack of physical activity is another important factor related to obesity. Many people have jobs that involve sitting at a desk most of the day. They also rely on their cars rather than walking, or cycling.

When they relax, people tend to watch TV, browse the internet or play computer games, and rarely take regular exercise.

If you are not active enough, you do not use the energy provided by the food you eat, and the extra calories are stored as fat instead.

The Department of Health recommends adults do at least 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) of moderate-intensity aerobic activity (i.e. cycling or fast walking) every week.

However, if you are obese and trying to lose weight, you may need to do more exercise - in some cases up to 300 minutes (five hours) may be recommended.

Read more about the physical activity guidelines for adults.

Genetics

Some people claim there is no point in losing weight because ‘it runs in my family’ or ‘it is in my genes’.

While there are some rare genetic conditions that can cause obesity, such as Prader-Willi syndrome, there is no reason why most people cannot lose weight.

It may be true that certain genetic traits inherited from your parents, such as taking longer to burn up calories (having a slow metabolism) or having a large appetite, can make losing weight more difficult. But it certainly does not make it impossible.

Many cases where obesity runs in families may be due to environmental factors such as poor eating habits learned during childhood.

Medical reasons

Medical conditions that can cause weight gain include:

Cushing's syndrome - a rare disorder that causes over-production of steroid hormones)

an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism), when your thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone

Certain medicines, including some corticosteroids and antidepressants, can also contribute to weight gain. Weight gain can also be a side effect of taking the combined contraceptive pill, and from quitting smoking.

Which is pretty much identical to what I said.

Archived