Get to the gym or lose benefits!

How much more of these bullyboy tactics are people going to put up with?

I for one am sick to the back teeth of politicians and self appointed "do gooders" deciding how others should live their own life.

You can bet those people won't lose any of their "in work" benefits because they are fat.

I wonder if the whole of Westminster council have an acceptable BMI by the way?

I know and it's the left wing that's accused of social engineering and wanting a nanny state. But the idea of politicians lecturing the proles to lose weight whist gorging themselves at the expenses trough is too repulsive to think about. :gag:

Wind forward 5 years. You're unemployed but you don't have to worry about how to pass the hours any more. You can use your free bus pass to go to the shops with your card for purchasing food, stop off at the gym on the way to record your mandatory 30 minutes of daily exercise. When you get home you can log your mandatory 7 hours of daily job search activity. No need to stay up late because you can't have a drink or smoke anyway - it's not permitted. It doesn't sound that bad really.

Wind forward 5 years. You're unemployed but you don't have to worry about how to pass the hours any more. You can use your free bus pass to go to the shops with your card for purchasing food, stop off at the gym on the way to record your mandatory 30 minutes of daily exercise. When you get home you can log your mandatory 7 hours of daily job search activity. No need to stay up late because you can't have a drink or smoke anyway - it's not permitted. It doesn't sound that bad really.

If they keep giving them all this free stuff and might have to pack work in and join them, I have to pay to go swimming. :(

They aren’t, they are just imposing conditions on people that want something for doing nothing.

Obviously if you don't want benefits you won't be forced to abide by the conditions.

There are condition attached by employers that employees have to abide by so why not claimants.

I still think it’s a daft idea but for different reasons.

So....

An obese person is made redundant, and then they have to attend a gym or they get no money?

What will it be next?

A person who voted for an opposition party is made redundant, so has to go to "education" classes to "amend their thinking"?

What next?

Brain implants?

Cloning?

They aren’t, they are just imposing conditions on people that want something for doing nothing.

Obviously if you don't want benefits you won't be forced to abide by the conditions.

There are condition attached by employers that employees have to abide by so why not claimants.

I still think it’s a daft idea but for different reasons.

People have paid taxes before going on benefits so to them its payback time akin to insurance compensation.

People have paid taxes before going on benefits so to them its payback time akin to insurance compensation.

A high percentage of benefits claimants have never worked, and the ones that did work tend to get back in employment sooner rather than later.

---------- Post added 03-01-2013 at 13:56 ----------

An obese person is made redundant, and then they have to attend a gym or they get no money?

Whilst everyone else as to pay for the privilege, sounds like a good deal for the unemployed to me but instead of sending them to the gym they should get them doing some work.

A high percentage of benefits claimants have never worked, and the ones that did work tend to get back in employment sooner rather than later.

This happens if you have a disability or have had a poor education.Have you ever received benefits?I have and I was jolly grateful at the time.

If they keep giving them all this free stuff and might have to pack work in and join them, I have to pay to go swimming. :(

I can see some people enjoying a lifestyle like that. No drink, no smokes, no drugs, a basic healthy diet, free travel, free gym membership, no income so no way of taking out debt because they have no way of paying it back. All the government need to do is throw in some basic housing and an allotment. Could be quite a nice basic lifestyle

especially for people who have skills they can use to barter for other things they need.

This happens if you have a disability or have had a poor education.Have you ever received benefits?I have and I was jolly grateful at the time.

Benefits should be a short term way of helping people and free gym membership shouldn't be included especially as there are many freeways of getting some exercise.

Archived