Get to the gym or lose benefits!

Benefits should be a short term way of helping people and free gym membership shouldn't be included especially as there are many freeways of getting some exercise.

I am acquainted with the freeways of the USA,but I believe running is a felony.Would you recommend short term benefits for the permanently blind and disabled?

Have you ever received benefits?

.....And if the gym classes interfere with time spent looking for work....

I hate the idea personally.

I'd like to say that it's well meaning, but it doesn't come across like that. If they wanted to target overweight people why not tax fatty foods; or fine companies that lie on their packages about the fat, sugar and salt content of their product?

They could put job search terminals on the exercise bikes. That way they could not only clock up the 35hrs per week job searching but get fit at the same time.

jb

After April 2013 councils will be responsible for public health provision, and in response Westminster Council has proposed that overweight people should lose their benefits if they refuse to attend fitness classes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20897681?sortBy=RatingValue&sortOrder=Ascending

Have Westminster Council got it right?

With all those tempting low priced Easter eggs in the shops allready,its going to be very hard for me,I don't think the fitness classes will help much,considering the weight i've gained over Christmas.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256573/Easter-egg-sales-begin-January-supermarkets-slash-prices-chocolate-hot-cross-buns.html

They could put job search terminals on the exercise bikes. That way they could not only clock up the 35hrs per week job searching but get fit at the same time.

jb

Sounds lie an exert from Tebbitts Travels,Normans famous guide for job-seekers.

How much more of these bullyboy tactics are people going to put up with?

I for one am sick to the back teeth of politicians and self appointed "do gooders" deciding how others should live their own life.

You can bet those people won't lose any of their "in work" benefits because they are fat.

I wonder if the whole of Westminster council have an acceptable BMI by the way?

If certain kidults can't be trusted to make adult decisions for themselves then wiser heads must overrule them, a simple fact of life. Secondly most moderate people are sick of an ever expanding welfare bill and ever expanding recipients of that welfare. No one is proposing the claimants be whipped, just have their lives improved.

jb

I am learning to ride a bike now,soon you may catch a glimpse of me cycling up Norfolk Hill in all weathers.

If certain kidults can't be trusted to make adult decisions for themselves then wiser heads must overrule them, a simple fact of life. Secondly most moderate people are sick of an ever expanding welfare bill and ever expanding recipients of that welfare. No one is proposing the claimants be whipped, just have their lives improved.

And from who's point of view is it an "improvement"?

People are always trying to "improve" other peoples lives, the problem with that is, maybe.... just maybe they like their life as it is and don't want it "improved" by someone elses standards.

That should be the difference between democracy and dictatorship.

And from who's point of view is it an "improvement"?

People are always trying to "improve" other peoples lives, the problem with that is, maybe.... just maybe they like their life as it is and don't want it "improved" by someone elses standards.

That should be the difference between democracy and dictatorship.

Every normal person knows it is better not to be obese therefore it is an improvement obviously. I'm talking about the standards of the normal majority as well as medical sense.

We live in a democracy with limits or we'd all be running around robbing each other with impunity. Those limits also cover parasitism and health eg a civilisation is judged on how it cares for the vulnerable. I'd class obese benefits users as such. It would be more uncaring to say "let them eat cake". It seems you have the empathy and sympathy levels of Marie Antoinette and look at what the people thought of her.

As satirical as the second one is it would be better for the poor if it came true. At the moment middle class people set them better examples and middle class doctors advise them but they just eat takeaways and smoke instead.

Archived