Get to the gym or lose benefits!

Why do we need gyms ? Sheffield is surrounded by 7 hills , so why not just encourage people to get out and walk more ?? Membership of , and participation in , a walking group costs absolutely nothing , and can have social and networking benefits as well . People could just walk with John Burkhill aka The Green Man and help him with his fundraising at the same time ......

We're talking about something that Westminster council have done. How hilly Sheffield is doesn't really matter to them.

As for MPs , how many of them are technically obese , and what is being done about them ? I reckon arse-width should be included on their "They Work For You" profiles , because if our MPs are getting fatter there will be less room for them to park their lardy asses down in Westminster , which of course has limited space . Does this mean that fewer of them will be allowed , as they can't all fit into the House of Commons ? Just a thought .....

This is nothing to do with any MPs, it's the actions of a council.

It's something like 1.6%, it was in the news quite a lot recently. It's an amazingly small amount isn't it.

So everything's fine as it is? I'm not going to be kept awake at night by the use of obesity testing or lack of such tests. I don't think recipients of taxpayers cash should complain about strings, they're not being asked to pick litter in orange jumpsuits.

Ah, he's upset at being made to look foolish in post 590 of the Falklands thread.

Offensive to whom? I don't see many complaining. Perhaps it proves I'm a running dog of western imperialism?

I don't think many people are reading your comments.You seem to be a real goldmine for cliches.I do not mind looking foolish,as most things posted are in fun,but a few sad people do take it so seriously,and make rude comments.I can go to bed and have a good chuckle at others and also at myself.However I would never pick on people unfortunate enough to depend on benefits.

---------- Post added 03-01-2013 at 23:40 ----------

So everything's fine as it is? I'm not going to be kept awake at night by the use of obesity testing or lack of such tests. I don't think recipients of taxpayers cash should complain about strings, they're not being asked to pick litter in orange jumpsuits.

I think your spell in the community has left its mark,but remember it was that or go to jail:hihi:

I don't think many people are reading your comments.You seem to be a real goldmine for cliches.I do not mind looking foolish,as most things posted are in fun,but a few sad people do take it so seriously,and make rude comments.I can go to bed and have a good chuckle at others and also at myself.However I would never pick on people unfortunate enough to depend on benefits.

Telling obese people to lose weight when they're care of the state is not being picked on. Saying "here's some cash now go and live on chicken nuggets" is more heartless, you're just another Antoinette saying "let them eat cake".

---------- Post added 03-01-2013 at 23:40 ----------

I think your spell in the community has left its mark,but remember it was that or go to jail:hihi:

Post 590 on the Falklands debate.

But why should exercise cost money , and taxpayer resentment ? Walking , be it in hilly Sheffield or flat Westminster , costs nothing - no extortionate joining fees or monthly membership . Common sense left this country about 15 years ago . I perhaps naively do not believe that 1 in 5 people are obese . I know that bariatric equipment is now more widely available , but of all the many people I know not one is obese . Does anyone know of any obese people ?

I was simply trying to put it into context for you... As you appeared to be unaware of how the "burgeoning welfare budget" is actually spent.

Although it's a good idea to send overweight people to the gym, it would need to be carefully controlled as I'm sure it would be inadviseable for some of them on medical grounds

No funds would be needed to send anyone to a public gym, although there may be some indirect costs, such as admin.

Seeking jobs can be done 24/7 as there are a lot of sites whereby jobseekers can search for opportunities so the unemployed could attend the gym early morning.

This could not be used as an excuse for not attending a gym.

I'm sure that some members on benefits, not just those overweight, would benefit from joining a gym.

Anything that can get them more active can only be beneficial. It can only make them fitter for work.

But why should exercise cost money , and taxpayer resentment ? Walking , be it in hilly Sheffield or flat Westminster , costs nothing - no extortionate joining fees or monthly membership . Common sense left this country about 15 years ago . I perhaps naively do not believe that 1 in 5 people are obese . I know that bariatric equipment is now more widely available , but of all the many people I know not one is obese . Does anyone know of any obese people ?

If the doctor measures my height and weighs me, I'm sure their guidelines would have me as obese... it has before when I weighed less! I'm not even that fat.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 13:22 ----------

Is this proposal for out of work benefits, like JSA by the way, or more like DLA where the obesity becomes so bad it is a disability, affecting walking and breathing etc?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Archived