Get to the gym or lose benefits!

I am a little over-weight (Mrs Whiteowl says cuddly :hihi: ) and I currently have a job, paying National Insurance as I have done for many many years.

I have never seen it written down anywhere that if I get made redundant or lose my job in any other way, that I'm only allowed to get money out of the pot that I've contributed a hell of a lot to if I lose weight. That's just rubbish :loopy:

Anyway, for all the frothy mouthed Daily Mail readers out there, can't see this getting past the ECHR to be honest. I'd be surprised if it doesn't contravene articles 3, 8 and possibly 14 of the European Convention of Human Rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Convention_on_Human_Rights

BMI is fundamentally flawed as a way of assessing someones weight.

It's worse than useless for a lot of people who are either taller or shorter than average, have more or less muscle than average, etc...

That's why doctors use it globally to measure BMI and it's just an estimate of obesity.

It has been used to measure my obesity in many gyms, and not just in the UK.

Fortunately, for me, I'm just on the low side.

BMI is fundamentally flawed as a way of assessing someones weight.

It says I have a BMI of 26 which is "below average", but I know that I have a massive belly that needs dealing with due to my love of real ale.

I've had to go up to a waist size 38" in trousers, which is quite difficult because I have long legs and need 34" length which aren't common together (regular clothes stores think people are long & thin or short & fat).

And funnily enough I have a BMI of around 25, I'm 5'11", have a 32" waist, run 3 times a week (with respectable enough times), climb, swim and do martial arts. BMI would indicate that I should loose quite a bit more weight, but it's basically wrong, and I'm not even an outlier. If I was particularly tall or short, if I played rugby or was more well muscled (from body building for example), it would probably be even more ridiculous.

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 14:24 ----------

That's why doctors use it globally to measure BMI and it's just an estimate of obesity.

It has been used to measure my obesity in many gyms, and not just in the UK.

Fortunately, for me, I'm just on the low side.

It's been used in a lot of places for many years, but that doesn't stop it being funamentally flawed.

The reason it's so flawed is that it draws a ratio between height and weight based on a square. Humans are not 2d objects though, and weight is dependent on volume. Volume varies with the cube of your height, not with the square of your height. Hence why it gets more and more ridiculous the further from the average height you are.

It also completely fails to take into account different body compositions that come about through different activities and genetics.

On yer (exercise) bike! Lol.

:hihi: I'm not even that bloody fat (although do have a bit extra weight due to just having a baby) I'm just a short arse :(

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 14:50 ----------

^^ She says, whilst sat stuffing her face with caramel digestives :blush:

I had one of those health checks in 2007 and it turned out I had the (apparent) fitness levels of a high end sports person, my resting heart rate was about 56bmp and my BMI was perfect.

I was the perfect physical specimen according to their charts.

The problem was, 4 days after this my heart almost packed up and I ended up on a cardiac ward for 18 hours. It was my prior fitness levels that prevented my heart from actually packing up.

Needless to say when I asked the doctor how this could have happened I was told "it can happen to anyone at any time" as I found out.

Anyway after leaving hospital I got myself back to a point where I could walk 50 meters again, began jogging a few months later.....and built my fitness back up. So all this BMI is a load of garbage, if your hearts going to stop then it could happen at any time

Archived