Penistone rd roundabout

CooLDAD

why? it barely takes 10 minutes to drive the length of it even in rush hour.

When you add up all the time spent on that road for every motorist over the course of a year a lot of time is being wasted sat at lights. Also, if the council really want to combat pollution as they say they do then freely flowing traffic is a great way

Pedestrians cannot expect to be able to cross every road in the city exactly where they happen to be standing.

That needed to be said. there's far too much kowtowing to pedestrians in my view. Pennistone road is a busy arterial road, it shouldn't be pedestrianised.

When you add up all the time spent on that road for every motorist over the course of a year a lot of time is being wasted sat at lights. Also, if the council really want to combat pollution as they say they do then freely flowing traffic is a great way

Although there is room for a lot of improvements to the lights, I don't see how traffic could ever be free flowing at busy times. Firstly, flow in both directions is high, so one cannot be favoured without affecting the other. Secondly, there are a lot of roads entering the system, each with a large number of vehicles. It is impossible to satisfy any particular flow without affecting another.

IMO, the main problem is the volume of traffic, and where it is coming from.

I'd be interested to see the stats for crashes/injuries/deaths at this particular roundabout. I'm not sure signals are needed there, It'll just slow things up even more.

The only dangerous thing at the roundabout is the zebra crossing on the bend just in front of the BP garage. I've seen a few nasty accidents and near misses where people coming off the roundabout go into the back of cars stopping at the crossing - it's just located too close to roundabout.

The only dangerous thing at the roundabout is the zebra crossing on the bend just in front of the BP garage. I've seen a few nasty accidents and near misses where people coming off the roundabout go into the back of cars stopping at the crossing - it's just located too close to roundabout.

I would guess the junction would be rejigged so that leppings lane would be slightly longer as Penistone road/Halifax road dual carriage way would be get more green light as the major road.

You could also make Herries Road a cul de sac by blocking it off at Hillfoot steel end with access being from the five arches end.This would then make the main road just a T junction with Leppings Lane.

I would guess the junction would be rejigged so that leppings lane would be slightly longer as Penistone road/Halifax road dual carriage way would be get more green light as the major road.

You could also make Herries Road a cul de sac by blocking it off at Hillfoot steel end with access being from the five arches end.This would then make the main road just a T junction with Leppings Lane.

That would require mayor changes at the bottom end of the other leg from Herries Road, to allow access towards Leppings Lane, Middlwood Rd, Fox Hill etc, as at present you can only turn left onto Penistone Road.

From 7:30 'till 8am there isn't really much of a problem on that road. Neither is there between 4 and 4:30. Also, a third of a mile is not far. Pedestrians cannot expect to be able to cross every road in the city exactly where they happen to be standing.

So you are saying someone wanting to cross the road at Leeppings Lane, should walk a third of a mile to the nearest crossing and a third of a mile back? Absolutely ridiculous.

Anyway, let's imagine you're right and the roundabout is a nightmare for the 20% of the day you mentioned - why do we not have lights working for that 20%? Why do we have to inconvenience people who are now currently using the roundabout with no problems at all for 80% of the day?

The new setup isn't going to be a roundabout. It will be a signalled junction and I can't imagine that would work safely without signals.

Also answer me this - if the council have so much money to throw at measures which inconvenience motorists, why can they not spend some of this money on sorting out the traffic light timings on Penistone road and allow the traffic to move at a new limit of 40mph?

The Council aren't spending money on this, the developer of the supermarket site is doing it as part of the planning conditions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryRiley

From 7:30 'till 8am there isn't really much of a problem on that road. Neither is there between 4 and 4:30. Also, a third of a mile is not far. Pedestrians cannot expect to be able to cross every road in the city exactly where they happen to be standing.

So you are saying someone wanting to cross the road at Leeppings Lane, should walk a third of a mile to the nearest crossing and a third of a mile back? Absolutely ridiculous.

Quote:

Anyway, let's imagine you're right and the roundabout is a nightmare for the 20% of the day you mentioned - why do we not have lights working for that 20%? Why do we have to inconvenience people who are now currently using the roundabout with no problems at all for 80% of the day?

The new setup isn't going to be a roundabout. It will be a signalled junction and I can't imagine that would work safely without signals.

Quote:

Also answer me this - if the council have so much money to throw at measures which inconvenience motorists, why can they not spend some of this money on sorting out the traffic light timings on Penistone road and allow the traffic to move at a new limit of 40mph?

The Council aren't spending money on this, the developer of the supermarket site is doing it as part of the planning conditions.

Why is it absolutely ridiculous? Most people aren't going to want to travel to the exact point they are at on the other aside of the road and so wouldn't need to walk all the way back. Pedestrians can't have crossings every metre. Eventually they will have to walk.

Why don't they just keep the roundabout and put signals on it which work in peak times only? The roundabout is a nightmare for only a small portion of the day. Why should people be inconvenienced at the other times?

Finally, will the supermarket bee paying for the ongoing maintenance of the signals?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Why is it absolutely ridiculous?

Most people aren't going to want to travel to the exact point they are at on the other aside of the road and so wouldn't need to walk all the way back. Pedestrians can't have crossings every metre. Eventually they will have to walk.

If I was walking down Leppings Lane, or Herries Road and wanted to go straight across, I would think it utterly ludicrous to be expected to walk over half a mile to cross the road safely. If we want people to be less car dependant, they need to have safe and convenient crossings.

Why don't they just keep the roundabout and put signals on it which work in peak times only? The roundabout is a nightmare for only a small portion of the day. Why should people be inconvenienced at the other times?

The designers will have looked to find the most efficient and cost effective way of dealing with the traffic which the junction carries.

A signalised junction gives far better scope for co-ordination with adjacent sets of signals.

Finally, will the supermarket bee paying for the ongoing maintenance of the signals?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

When new highway infrastructure is added to the maintenance contract a commuted sum has to be paid to cover maintenance costs for the period of the 25 year contract. I would imagine developers now have to pay this.

Archived