Penistone rd roundabout

CooLDAD

You mean like the one at the bottom of Walkley Lane at the junction of Holme lane where you cant turn right ,but have to do a mile detour all the way up Malin Bridge and back just to get 50yds from where you started. ? That banned right turn has never been dangerous ,and until Hillsbro corner was altered to accommodate the tram there was never an issue with turning right there. That is a good example of stupid road planning of the highest order. Making vehicles travel a mile just to progress 50yds.
There's no need for the vast majority of traffic coming down there to have to travel to Malin Bridge and back. they could just follow the (quicker), signposted route(s).

There's no need for the vast majority of traffic coming down there to have to travel to Malin Bridge and back. they could just follow the (quicker), signposted route(s).

But then you are led round a series of narrow back streets on a rat run , with cars parked on both sides of the road making it very difficult to get anywhere.

But then you are led round a series of narrow back streets on a rat run , with cars parked on both sides of the road making it very difficult to get anywhere.

It's not a rat run if it's a signposted through route.

I've never had any problem getting around on those streets and I suspect neither have most people

Unless it's changed recently, I never had any problem with Langsett, Bamforth or Penistone Roads.

Unless it's changed recently, I never had any problem with Langsett, Bamforth or Penistone Roads.

Im talking about turning left at the bottom of Walkley Lane ,and then turning right up Beechwood Rd to turn right onto Taplin rd ,then right again to rejoin Holme Lane , so you can get to Hillsbro corner to turn left up Middlewood rd . It is a nightmare ,but the only way to do it unless you go all the way upto Malin Bridge and back down or make the banned right turn at the bottom of Walkley Lane.

Im talking about turning left at the bottom of Walkley Lane ,and then turning right up Beechwood Rd to turn right onto Taplin rd ,then right again to rejoin Holme Lane , so you can get to Hillsbro corner to turn left up Middlewood rd . It is a nightmare ,but the only way to do it unless you go all the way upto Malin Bridge and back down or make the banned right turn at the bottom of Walkley Lane.

Either come down Walkley Bank/Rivlin Bank to Malin Bridge and then head along Holme Lane and turn left. Or as you say turn around on Beechwood and Taplin.

It's not really that tricky once you've done it once.

I find that it's generally best to just go down Penistone Road and double back at Parkside Road when the tram gate is on and I'm coming from Crookes or the city.

Say if you wanted to get to Middlewood Road, around the bottom of Dykes Hall Road, from Walkley Lane. What is the “official” route? Is it via Bamforth Street?

If you go via Bamforth Street onto Penistone Road, do you have to go as far as Parkside Road, or is there a shorter way?

If you drop onto Holme Lane and turn left and then right up Beechwood Road, is there a way through towards the Dykes Hall Road area, or are you forced back onto Holme Lane by one way systems?

I only know the main roads through the area, as I am always passing through. For me, routes such as Bamforth Street or straight through Holme Lane/Bradfield Road are fine, as I am not actually going to anywhere at Hillsbro'.

I live in Stannington and when I'm driving home on Holme Lane there is the occasional cheeky right-turner(often a taxi driver) from Walkley Lane blocking the traffic up until a gap appears in the traffic going the opposite direction on HL. I'll bet you'd be peeved at this if you were being held up like that.

An equally ridiculous example of road “planning” in the city is if you are at the Wicker arches (near the motorcycle shop) and want to return to the northern side of the city.

You only have three options:

1. Drive an additional two miles to circumnavigate Park Square roundabout in order to return up Derek Dooley way.

2. Drive a complete circuit of the city centre in order to rejoin the ring road at Shalesmoor roundabout.

3. Drive up Spittal Hill, through down-town Mogadishu, and they return to the A61 via Rutland Road.

All of which add to traffic congestion and and pollution within the city and involve hugely increased journey times.

Doubtless someone will be along shortly to defend this nonsense and to deny that:

a) The city is hostile to car drivers.

b) No research or thought has gone into the road planning in this area.

c) It causes any inconvenience to anyone.

There aren't enough traffic lights on Penistone road. We should start a campaign to introduce more. The speed limit should also be reduced to 3mph in keeping with SCC's insistance that no one can avoid overturning their car as soon as they start the ignition without council intervention

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Had to requote this as I found it hilarious :hihi::hihi::hihi: (Thank you for making me smile on a bad day!) However I do agree with a better system down at that roundabout. Im a driving instructor and it would be easier and safer for new drivers (and old ones who arent that good!) during busy periods if there were some kinda filtration system. Also on the subject of roundabouts, the 'new' ASDA at Parson Cross roundabout needs re-marking from the Wordsworth Ave entrance (ASDA on yoru left, learning zone on the right) Frustratingly wrongly marked!!!!

Archived