Penistone rd roundabout

CooLDAD

It's being funded by the developer of the new Sainsburys Supermarket as part of the planning consent.

The roundabout has been causing problems for traffic flows in peak hours for a long time now. Roundbouts work ok when flows on all approaches are balanced, but when they are tidal and are dominated from a particular approach, the other approaches often can't get onto the roundabout, resulting in tailbacks. That's what happens here.

---------- Post added 03-01-2013 at 14:02 ----------

There's moves afoot to alow the Council to enforce box junctions and banned turns by camera, like they already do in London.

.....and as if my magic!!:hihi:

It's being funded by the developer of the new Sainsburys Supermarket as part of the planning consent.

The roundabout has been causing problems for traffic flows in peak hours for a long time now. Roundbouts work ok when flows on all approaches are balanced, but when they are tidal and are dominated from a particular approach, the other approaches often can't get onto the roundabout, resulting in tailbacks. That's what happens here.

---------- Post added 03-01-2013 at 14:02 ----------

There's moves afoot to alow the Council to enforce box junctions and banned turns by camera, like they already do in London.

Does make sense - thanks for that. So Sainsbury's is going ahead now then? It's been a long time in the coming.

I travel all along Penistone road to work and back each day. High Green to town.

It is where the traffic builds up, and causes ques as people sit on the island and stop others getting past, if its lights at least it will stop that happening.

A massive problem in the morning is people queuing to get into Morrisons, the turning lane isn't big enough and it causes the right hand side of the dual carriage way to come to a halt.

Thats a bigger problem i think.

^^^^^^^^

THIS

The plans to get rid of that roundabout have been on the cards for 20 years, they'll be a new junction and another one at Claywheels lane that Sainsburys are paying towards when there supermarket opens there.

As someone that uses the roundabout quite regular i'd say it's about time, it can be a nightmare

From my point of view, it is unlikely to make much difference. I travel outbound along the A61 in the morning (around 7:30) and there is little traffic. When I return (about 4:30 to 5:00 in the afternoon), it is quite a bit busier, but not much traffic coming from the right to hold me up.

It does look bad for those outbound, though, in the evening, with traffic exiting into Leppings Lane often blocking them. Does this traffic back up all the way from Catch Bar Lane?

It doesn’t look too bad for people exiting Leppings Lane, as they often get the chance to exit – but does it back up a long way? I don’t know how much traffic is actually coming down Leppings Lane – its just that I often see traffic able to exit onto the roundabout.

Getting out at the bottom of Herries Road looks like a problem, partly because the roundabout is blocked, but also because of people like me already on the A61.

Assuming that the proposals here are similar to those of 2010 (does anyone have a link to what they are proposing now?), then I think it looks good. However, it might still depend on what is happening on Leppings Lane.

A big problem at a lot of junctions, whether lights or roundabouts is the people who block the junction. IMO, box junctions and enforcement would help.

Please do not get me started on the light system on Penistone rd .When the lights are not working the traffic flows .The controllers must think it's a computer game ,Lets see how many times we can make cars stop between Hillsborough park and Shalesmoor.

Please do not get me started on the light system on Penistone rd .When the lights are not working the traffic flows .The controllers must think it's a computer game ,Lets see how many times we can make cars stop between Hillsborough park and Shalesmoor.

Their are 32 sets of lights between Kilner Way and Shalesmoor roundabout, it is not surprising that there are hold-ups!

Archived