Penistone rd roundabout

CooLDAD

As I have said in my previous post, you have to understand the conditions under which the Council has to operate. The Government advise (and by that they mean expect) highway authorities to have traffic signals on 24/7.

Do you go to other towns adn cities and see traffic lights which are only on at peak times? No and I have explained why.

The new traffic lights are being put in to improve the current situation, which as mentioned by others, has been unsatisfactory for years, and cope with the additional traffic which the new superamrket will generate. It's exactly the same as you wold expect to see in any town or city and is nothing to do with the Council being anti-car.

What is so unclear about "It is advisory, not mandatory. I know of at least two local authorities that turn traffic signals off at night. (St Albans and Torbay (off season)). So that defence of the council doesn't wash."?

I am will to bet you £100.00 here and now (to be donated to a charity of your choice) that the lights will not improve comgestion when compare to the current roundabout.

I am will to bet you £100.00 here and now (to be donated to a charity of your choice) that the lights will not improve comgestion when compare to the current roundabout.

Congestion for who?, you or the people who want to use the new supermarket?

Congestion at a junction is measured by looking at all the arms, not just the ones you use.

What is so unclear about "It is advisory, not mandatory. I know of at least two local authorities that turn traffic signals off at night. (St Albans and Torbay (off season)). So that defence of the council doesn't wash."?

It would be nearly impossible to measure with confidence, after the event, as there would be so many other variables, eg

1 The fact that there is extra traffic going to and from the Supermarket – and we would never know what the hold ups would have been like with the existing roundabout and the Supermarket.

2 Extra traffic who may currently detour to avoid the area completely, but who start using it once the delays at the roundabout have gone away.

3 General changes in traffic density.

IMO, it probably will not get better, but that will be mainly down to the added traffic associated with the new Supermarket, as in 1 above. Without the changes, there would be extra traffic coming down Halifax Road to the roundabout, just to go back up again to get to the supermarket, as well as the traffic coming along Penistone Road and Leppings Lane, also going to the supermarket.

There are exceptions to every rule, but in general, the DfT advise that signals should be on at all times and not be part time.

Sheffield is a major city, with busy traffic all the time, not just in summer, so a comparison with Torbay isn't really valid, neither is a comparison with somewhere like St Albans, which has a population of about 80,000, so isn't going to have anything like the same level of traffic issues.

Signals allow the Councl to manage congestion better, because they can change the signal timing plans by time of day or in accordance with actual traffic conditions. Signals also improve accessibility for pedestrians.

I am sure that Planner1 will be able to tell us that the council will have a highly efficient and accurate way of measuring everything.

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 13:41 ----------

There are exceptions to every rule, but in general, the DfT advise that signals should be on at all times and not be part time.

Ah! The Bradley Wiggins of back-peddling speaks!

It would be nearly impossible to measure with confidence, after the event, as there would be so many other variables, eg

1 The fact that there is extra traffic going to and from the Supermarket – and we would never know what the hold ups would have been like with the existing roundabout and the Supermarket.

2 Extra traffic who may currently detour to avoid the area completely, but who start using it once the delays at the roundabout have gone away.

3 General changes in traffic density.

IMO, it probably will not get better, but that will be mainly down to the added traffic associated with the new Supermarket, as in 1 above. Without the changes, there would be extra traffic coming down Halifax Road to the roundabout, just to go back up again to get to the supermarket, as well as the traffic coming along Penistone Road and Leppings Lane, also going to the supermarket.

The Council and the consultants who will have designed the new setup, have traffic models which can fairly accurately represent the existing conditions and predict what will happen (ie queue lengths, delays) if you introduce something new and test options for interventions.

The Council will certainly have wanted to see modelling results to assure themselves that the proposed layout can cope with the extra traffic the supermarket will generate.

I am sure that Planner1 will be able to tell us that the council will have a highly efficient and accurate way of measuring everything.

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 13:41 ----------

Why the need deride Planner 1's input at pretty much every opportunity.?

He is prepared to come on these sorts of threads and provide a lot of information, links to old contacts at SCC etc. He also takes the time to explain how the system works and what restrictions and limitation can apply when trying to make improvements. We might not agree with his viewpoint all of the time (or any of the time in some cases), but I think it's worth cherishing his imput. Well, maybe not cherishing it, but at least respecting it. Sheffield Forum would be much less of a useful and informative forum without his input.

Edit. Since posting, I have now seen Planner 1's post above, which is typical of his informative input.

Mock all you like, but in my view it is not sensible to suggest that a significant junction on a very busy dual carriageway A road should have signals which only operate at peak times.

Supermarkets generate a lot of traffic and it's not only at peak times. Significant turning movements on busy dual carriageways generally need to be managed by signals, which also allow safe pedestrain access.

One thing I have noticed when it's busy coming home from work is that a number of motorists rather than join the queue, turn off up Herries Road and then back down the other side past Hillfoot Steel to get on the roundabout there.

Hopefully the new signals will mean it's no longer worth their while making this detour.

Regards

Doom

Why the need deride Planner 1's input at pretty much every opportunity.?

Because his views are highly partisan, pro his employer and lack objectivity.

If the council want a voice on this forum they should do so openly rather than relying upon on of their sycophatic minnions.

His footer should read: "Planner1's views may be his own but wholly reflect those of his employers, past or present.

I

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 14:00 ----------

Mock all you like, but in my view it is not sensible to suggest that a significant junction on a very busy dual carriageway A road should have signals which only operate at peak times.

At the moment it doesn't have any signals................it's a bloody roundabout!

Even in the rush-hour people stop, check that the route is clear, and then proceed. There is no difference in the methodology of negotiating this than a junction with the lights turned off.

Archived