Penistone rd roundabout

CooLDAD

Because his views are highly partisan, pro his employer and lack objectivity.

If the council want a voice on this forum they should do so openly rather than relying upon on of their sycophatic minnions.

His footer should read: "Planner1's views may be his own but wholly reflect those of his employers, past or present.

I

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 14:00 ----------

At the moment it doesn't have any signals................it's a bloody roundabout!

Even in the rush-hour people stop, check that the route is clear, and then proceed. There is no difference in the methodology of negotiating this than a junction with the lights turned off.

Who is his employer? His footer used to say that he used to work for SCC. Are you saying that he is back at SCC?

Just heard the roundabout on penistone rd and Halifax rd is to go,maybe some sort of crossroads with lights probably,why they decided to do this?

About time, come the evening rush hour all the traffic coming from Wadsley Bridge effectively has right of way, blocking traffic joining the roundabout from Herries Road and Penistone Rd outbound. I look forward to the change.

A number of bus drivers are in support of removing the roundabout on Penistone Road / Leppings Lane as it will help with traffic flow ( until they hit the next set of lights :hihi:)

Plans were drawn up years ago for removal of the roundabout but it has been awaiting funding.

1. Don't build the supermarket. There are already five within easy travelling distance.

2. Leave the roundabout as it is.

3. Remove some of the traffic lights between Leppings Lane and Shalesmoor.

4. Get rid of the stupid traffic/tram system in Hillsborough.

Re bib. Which ones do you suggest removing?

1. Don't build the supermarket. There are already five within easy travelling distance.

2. Leave the roundabout as it is.

3. Remove some of the traffic lights between Leppings Lane and Shalesmoor.

4. Get rid of the stupid traffic/tram system in Hillsborough.

1.Dont you think the area needs jobs?

2.Why would a supermarket want to build somewhere shoppers cant access?

3. What about access for those who live and work off Penistone Road?

4. Why? i catch the tram with 1000s of others to and from Hillsborough, would you rather we all drive down Penistone Road?

in debates about traffic lights, a basic truth always seems to be missed. TRaffic Lights dont cause delay - it is when one stream of traffic meets another - joining, or leaving, or just crossing (i.e. in direct opposition). whether this is managed by signals, roundabout, give way etc. is tinkering aroudn the egdes in one sense - this point of conflict is still going to remain. getting rid of traffic lights seems to be some sort of wonder ful idea that will reduce this conflict - it wont. Most likely, it will result in more unpredictable conditions at a junction, more delay and less safe movements. for exampels of two slightly complex junctions that have no lights but still cause issues, i would highlight carterknowle rd/abbeydale rd and sharrow lane/carterknowle rd/alderson rd. these operate with give way on the minor roads, and in those situations every day i see delay to traffic on either the main road, or the minor, or both; i see possible dangerous manoeuvres, uncertainty amongst drivers; and in some cases the sense that you will never have an opportunity to pull out.

it isnt that i advocate the use of traffic signals - indeed i think they are a panacea for a bigger problem which is the increase in traffic and movement. Either way getting rid of traffic lights isnt going to make conflict between different flows of traffic disappear.

in debates about traffic lights, a basic truth always seems to be missed. TRaffic Lights dont cause delay - it is when one stream of traffic meets another - joining, or leaving, or just crossing (i.e. in direct opposition). whether this is managed by signals, roundabout, give way etc. is tinkering aroudn the egdes in one sense - this point of conflict is still going to remain. getting rid of traffic lights seems to be some sort of wonder ful idea that will reduce this conflict - it wont. Most likely, it will result in more unpredictable conditions at a junction, more delay and less safe movements. for exampels of two slightly complex junctions that have no lights but still cause issues, i would highlight carterknowle rd/abbeydale rd and sharrow lane/carterknowle rd/alderson rd. these operate with give way on the minor roads, and in those situations every day i see delay to traffic on either the main road, or the minor, or both; i see possible dangerous manoeuvres, uncertainty amongst drivers; and in some cases the sense that you will never have an opportunity to pull out.

it isnt that i advocate the use of traffic signals - indeed i think they are a panacea for a bigger problem which is the increase in traffic and movement. Either way getting rid of traffic lights isnt going to make conflict between different flows of traffic disappear.

Sorry, I fundamentally disagree with you. Traffic signals cause a cadence effect that stalls traffic flow.

Traffic lights manage the problem in a way that a roundabout or give way cannot, they let the minor flow enter the major flow in cases where it may not be able to otherwise.

You are right morris, there is just too much traffic for the roads to handle and its only going to get worse. Moaning about congestion is like moaning about getting old, nothing can be done.

Sorry, I fundamentally disagree with you. Traffic signals cause a cadence effect that stalls traffic flow.

well i would defer to a traffic engineer on the effect of traffic lights generally. but i am not supporting traffic lights per se. what i am asking is those who wish to see traffic lights removed, what would you then prefer to see replace them?

take penistone rd for example. everyone is angry about the traffic lights. your solution for every single junction would be what?

some examples:

- a roundabout for each one

- minor roads give way on to the major road - would be interesting to see how traffic at the rutland rd junction would work in this instance

- signals

- traffic banned from joining penistone rd at some, or all of the roads adjoining it after the shalesmoor rounadabout - it becomes an urban expressway.

my point was, there is a fundamental issue about connectivity, traffic flow and congestion. people loathe certain roundabouts (e.g. stairfoot in barnsley, brookhill) whether signal controlled or not and equally loathe busy traffic light controlled junctions. it is not clear what they think is the right answer to balance all the different factors. traffic engineers are attempting to do so, whether they get the "right" answer or not.

Archived