Murder in Ellesmere Road Pitsmoor 1959 - 60?

floater

can anyone re-call a murder in about 1959 - 60. As I remember a lady was murdered in her home on Ellesmere Road. She was a music teacher who used her home to give piano lessons.

I have tried googling it but came up with nothing.

Police conducted house to house enquiries, and interviewed everybody who lived in the area. Seems like there is only me that remembers this incident! I know it took place, because I was courting at the time, and the police had to arrange to come back and interview my boyfriend(I later married him)

I do think they soved the crime, but I cannot remember who it was that murdered her. Can anybody help me?

Why would anyone WANT to remember and discuss the murder of a stranger all those years ago. I'm curious ?

Why would anyone WANT to remember and discuss the murder of a stranger all those years ago. I'm curious ?

because No 1. at the time it was to me something that rarely happened (unlike now!)

No. 2. Nobody but myself seems to remember it, therefore arousing MY curiosity.

Her name was Miss Ethel Jones. Had spent most of her life in a convent and was a regular attender at St Maries Cathedral. She lived on her own at the top end of Ellesmere Road and gave lessons in music; she was a keen mandolin player, and general subjects mainly to struggling youngsters prior to the old 11plus. An eccentric but very kind old lady. All details of the prosecution and subsequent conviction are a matter of public records which are available to the general public.

Her name was Miss Ethel Jones. Had spent most of her life in a convent and was a regular attender at St Maries Cathedral. She lived on her own at the top end of Ellesmere Road and gave lessons in music; she was a keen mandolin player, and general subjects mainly to struggling youngsters prior to the old 11plus. An eccentric but very kind old lady. All details of the prosecution and subsequent conviction are a matter of public records which are available to the general public.

hi, thanks for response. Seems you and I are the only people on SF who remember this. Where can I view the public records you speak of. Are they available on line?

hi, thanks for response. Seems you and I are the only people on SF who remember this. Where can I view the public records you speak of. Are they available on line?

Should you get to see these records ,I,d be interested to know if apolliceman called Eric Gregory is mentioned

With the greatest respect floater i think some poster on here remember it better than you LOL, it was winter 1961.

http://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPage?collection=journals&handle=hein.journals/policejl36&div=7&id=&page=

This article mentions a chemist,would that be opposite All Saints Church.If so, was it called Greenstreets

All the records are in National Records - all were moved to London area some years ago. You will find online but not sure if downloadable, may have to pay for postage. These give names of offence ; parties involved , and date of conviction. Local papers will fill in details.

• 3 weeks later...

i remember the murder of little miss music police interviewed me i was about 17 @ the time it was xmas time and i was working @ morgan fairest on sorby st the lad who did it i believe was a nephew of hers and i think she was hit over the head with her walking stick they caught him but he was released from prison after about 8 years. i was born on the bottom of clun road

---------- Post added 24-01-2013 at 15:11 ----------

does anybody remember old joe bluff he walked about with a army coat on and carried a old sack over is shoulder i think he went down to the old rag @tag market collecting anything that was left he lived on danville st near the star pub. i went to burgrieve school in 1952

You are right in saying that it was a big thing at the time Floater, I remember it well and of being fingerprinted along with all young men in the area. The poor woman is buried in the Catholic cemetery opposite the paddling pool in Rivelin ( I think this has been dealt with on SF before) . Was surprised to hear from Arfer Mo that Russian Edna once lived on Sedan St. as there was a contemporary but unconnected Russian old woman who lived round the corner down Carwood Road near me who got the name 'Russian Edna' due to the case, but it wasn't her real name. Going off the theme but does anyone remember the much talked about prostitute, Veronica, who lived at the church end of Sedan St ? Paraded about with a large white dog and didn't give a damn !