Murder in Ellesmere Road Pitsmoor 1959 - 60?

floater

hi david weston i think i know you from pitsmoor i worked @ mogan fairest on sorby st i was a welder @ lived on clun rd my name is jim walker we used to drink in the gower arms pub and we had loads of visits from veronica she used to embarras us because we were only 17 @ the time i went to ellesmere and burngreave schools also the ellesmere youth club les pugh ran it do you remember joe bluff who lived on danville st

This article mentions a chemist,would that be opposite All Saints Church.If so, was it called Greenstreets

Hi beezerboy

Sorry for the late reply i must have missed your post, but to answer you query the only chemist relevant to the link would be on the corner of Ellesmere Road and Gower Street, i could be wrong but i think they called it Lloyds? Having thought a little bit more i think now, it was called excell chemist.

This was on the other side of the road,

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s25517&pos=25&action=zoom&id=27961

Edited by kidley
added info

beezerboy the chemist at the top of gower st and ellsmere rd was called exels chemist the shop on the opposite side was the babydom there was also rhodes pork butchers at the top of gower st also adams the butchers i went to school with there daughter margaret i was born at the bottom of clun rd near growcocks greengrocers the robin hood pub was on the other corner and downs butchers was end of clun st

This article mentions a chemist,would that be opposite All Saints Church.If so, was it called Greenstreets

The chemist I was referring to would have been at the junction on Ellesmere Rd at the junction with Lyons St , opposite all Saints Church,the one you mention would have been opposite Burgon & Son grocers I believe.

Hi Piecrust, no it wasn't me you knew, born '44 and went to All Saints' not Ellesmere. She got about Veronica, once saw her Upwell Street way still with the dog ( did she walk all that way ?). She would be in her 40's at the time c 1959 ? Anyone remember the bread van going through Excell's window ?

hi david weston dont remember the bread van but do remember a young lad getting killed while sitting on the railings outside john heaths and the albion pub a motor bike and sidecar ran away down andover st and bounced on top of him veronica always had a light coloured trench coat on and very little underneath do you remember the junk shop on sutherland rd near the swimming baths i bet you lived near the howells family

beezerboy the chemist at the top of gower st and ellsmere rd was called exels chemist the shop on the opposite side was the babydom there was also rhodes pork butchers at the top of gower st also adams the butchers i went to school with there daughter margaret i was born at the bottom of clun rd near growcocks greengrocers the robin hood pub was on the other corner and downs butchers was end of clun st

Hi piecrust

Have a look at the photo at the bottom of this link, it looks like you had a lucky escape.

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/pitsmoorwardead.htm

Hi Piecrust, We lived top end of Carwood Road near the vicarage and I didn't know any Howells there nor the junk shop you mention, but I must have know of it at the time. There was one opposite Ellesmere Road school at the junction of Petre Street and Ellesmere Road and another on Burngreave Road. There was a poor bloke threw himself under a bus outside Ellesmere school in the early 50's, we were on the following bus (to town) and the first bus had swerved blocking the road. I remember seeing the driver's cap left on the steering wheel whilst he was being calmed outside, very upsetting for a young kid as I then was. You'll remember seeing the council night watchmens' trailers with their braziers used for overnights at roadworks, the watchmen lighting their paraffin lamps to place around the excavations at night ? Such old blokes on their own were safe from aggressive behaviour back then; doubt that would apply today.

• 6 years later...