Ski village not reopening

Pook

Should it Reopen?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should it Reopen?

• Yes
    • No

why was nobody listening there is two sides to every story. and why is,nt land suitable for housing IMO a nice little village type constuction will fit nicely in that neck of the woods would be very nice (pun intended)

There's a thread on here somewhere. One of the main concerns is access and increased traffic, I think.

why was nobody listening there is two sides to every story. and why is,nt land suitable for housing IMO a nice little village type constuction will fit nicely in that neck of the woods would be very nice (pun intended)

Details here:

http://www.menta.co.uk/Pages/ucar_sheffield.php

http://www.menta.co.uk/Pages/beeley_wood_05.pdf

http://www.menta.co.uk/Pages/upperdon_valley.php

Personally I can't understand the council's insistence that their plan to build some council houses up the road at Foxhill would suffer if the UCAR site was houses. Most people would prefer a view of some more houses than a view of a run down industrial site. But then I don't really know what planet the SCC planning department live on (but I bet the sky's the same colour as the planet where the SCC transport prevention department live).

I agree but SCC seem to believe Beeley Woods is better for industry / commerce type of uses and not housing.

I'm with butchill 100% on this one, what sort of left wing ill concieved garbage is this? Investment requires a return metalman, pension funds invest heavilly in companies that attempt to make millions, I presume that you would wish them to make a loss. :loopy:

Irrelevant drivel. You cant buy planning permission (legally). If they think the ski development would provide an adequate return they would do it. If it needs subsidising by the profits of another development then their business plan is all wrong.

I'm with butchill 100% on this one, what sort of left wing ill concieved garbage is this? Investment requires a return metalman, pension funds invest heavilly in companies that attempt to make millions, I presume that you would wish them to make a loss. :loopy:

I'm not against anybody making a profit, but as Feargal points out, there's no earthly reason to link the Beeley Wood development to the Ski Village at all... the two applications should be completely separate. If they can't make any money from the revamped Ski Village on its own, why are they building it? This is just them trying to force the councils hand by saying 'If you won't let us make millions by building a little boxworld in an unsuitable place, we'll take our ball home'.

It seems the Council have made the right decision for once - why should they be held to ransom? I'm sure Fleetham's already-approved developments on Ecclesall Road South would more than bridge any funding gap.

With the figures quoted - if the new Ski Village proposals cannot generate profits as a standalone project, then it's a short-term prospect doomed to fail, so maybe best if it just stays as it is, which I assume does make some profits?

In relation to the development proposals for Beeley Woods - what's the chances that, assuming they eventually get planning approval, they'll find some other hurdle to blame the Snow Mountain not going ahead, but the houses will be up before you know it!

Archived