Pook

Should it Reopen?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should it Reopen?

• Yes
    • No

This is interesting- do you have a link / source? :thumbsup:

read it this week sometime I will try and remember if I do I will post it

just as a matter of intrest one council stated they did not spend it because the intrest kept the council tax down and if you believe that you will believe anything

but there is approx 2 billion never been spent on the improvments agreed the companies who gave the money are sueing some councils for the money back because the councils never did the work promised

Never,

How could somebody print that about a group of councils who are probably labour intensive. :hihi:

Watch this space as over the next 5 years as the rules are changed to suit to pay for that larger version of the World Student Games that we got lumbered with the bill for, yes thats right the Olympics in 2012.

The figures have already been proved to be massively out of range.

What a surprise that yet again something in Sheffield that was becoming successful namely the Ski Village has been hammered by the Sheffield City Council.

It seems to be that anything that involves ideas from the private sector get the knock back by the council and even if they get off the ground, eventually they get spoilt.

We are becoming a laughing stock as we lose stuff left right and centre, Airport, Pop Music Museum, Ski Village etc etc.

Radio Sheffield did a spot the other morning with Antonia regarding the closing of the airport and what people thought.

As I said, as soon as it had the kiss of death on it in the form of involvement by the city council, it was doomed to faliure.

What I would like to know is what will be left for visitors to see and do at all these hotels that are springing up round Sheffield when the council have finished.

Interestingly though, how much objection is there going into all these hotels that they are building. ??

They seem to have very little objection or problems in getting built and finally as I close my rant, what will happen to th etwo very large concrete pillars at the bottom of Netherthorpe at its junction with Shalesmoor ??

Are they not something to do with the cable car plans to the ski village. ??

Please somebody correct me if I am wrong ! :|

The proposed development clearly wouldn't work. People have no interest coming to Sheffield to learn to ski when Xscape at Castleford is far easier in terms of access.

Seems to me that the Ski Village is a dead duck that needs to be put down PDQ.

Speaking personally - I'm 100% behind what Menta are proposing.

If there was significant local opposition to the plans, or if there were real substantive alternative proposals for using the UCAR site for industrial use, I could understand the Council's point of view - but I don't see either of those things.

This is what I do see being chucked down the drain:

• The world-class Snow Mountain development
  • A great scheme to satisfy the demand for housing in North Sheffield
  • New office space to bring jobs to the area
  • A much-needed bypass for Hillsborough

If you ask me, this is another fine example of the Council's intricate "masterplan" coming into a jarring collision with reality. :rolleyes:

If someone wants to tell me what the alternative is, I'll gladly reconsider.

Not clear what Menta are proposing.

They seem to be saying that they'll build houses at Beeley Woods and then re- invest some of the profits in the ski village.

Although they could simply pocket the profit from Beeley Woods and then just walk away.

If the ski village is to be a going concern it's got to be able to wash its own face financially. Have Menta got a business plan for that?

Not clear what Menta are proposing.

They seem to be saying that they'll build houses at Beeley Woods and then re- invest some of the profits in the ski village.

Although they could simply pocket the profit from Beeley Woods and then just walk away.

If the ski village is to be a going concern it's got to be able to wash its own face financially. Have Menta got a business plan for that?

I'm not exactly in tune with where the Ski Village is financially, or its potential successor for that matter.

But it's possible for something to be a viable business in the long-term even though the costs of raising private capital may be prohibitive.

The Council's proposal for the coach house in Hillsborough Park is an excellent example of this - they are providing the capital funding for the redevelopment through the Heritage Lottery Fund, but it's intended to be a self-financing operation once the investment is in place.

I'm not exactly in tune with where the Ski Village is financially, or its potential successor for that matter.

But it's possible for something to be a viable business in the long-term even though the costs of raising private capital may be prohibitive.

Been snowboarding for 10 years now hving originally learned at the ski village. I prefer to drive to Castleford now because as good as the ski village is it just isn't the same as snow. It is going to suffer if it doesn't compete with the likes of Cas and Manchester

The Council's proposal for the coach house in Hillsborough Park is an excellent example of this - they are providing the capital funding for the redevelopment through the Heritage Lottery Fund, but it's intended to be a self-financing operation once the investment is in place.

So you're 100% behind the Menta proposal even though you don't know what they are proposing???

Personally I think it's a touch cheeky of the ski village owners to start moaning at the council now when the council has, down the years, given them a series of privileged tax breaks and subsidies not enjoyed by any other non-council run leisure centre in Sheffield.

Archived