Ski village not reopening

Pook

Should it Reopen?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should it Reopen?

• Yes
    • No

anyone no anything about the ski village closing down like when or why

I gather that was partly a bit of bluster on the ski village's part to help hurry the council along with approving plans related to the massive redevelopment of the ski village. I think its fair to say that its always "up for sale" in that if a good enough offer comes in the owners might sell.

• 1 month later...
Umeeksk, whether the proposal includes business use in addition to housing is really neither here nor there. The way of the modern world is that people simply do not work at the end of the street any more so any housing would immediately cause increased traffic volumes on those poor roads.

Sheffield is losing business space at a rapid rate and there is rightly accepted policy that this should not happen unless

The UDP designation for the Union Carbide site is General Business and in that case there is simply no legal way that the UDP can be ignored and cast aside. Such land is pretty sacrosanct in all local authorities and it would always be a bit of a long shot to apply for housing on it. Perhaps now it's a little clearer why the pressure of the Ski Village was brought to bare on the Union Carbide planning application eh? ;)

I still fully support the Menta proposals for the upper don. The inclusion of a bypass of Hillsborough and footbridges to public transport negates your claim of increased traffic flow resulting from housing development.

Incidentally how does the development of 400 new properties slap bang on Middlewood road NOT exacerbate the traffic issues we currently have. Though the industrial usage of UCAR in planning is specific, to cite traffic problems as a reason not to do anything is a bit of a red herring.

I still fully support the Menta proposals for the upper don. The inclusion of a bypass of Hillsborough and footbridges to public transport negates your claim of increased traffic flow resulting from housing development.

Incidentally how does the development of 400 new properties slap bang on Middlewood road NOT exacerbate the traffic issues we currently have. Though the industrial usage of UCAR in planning is specific, to cite traffic problems as a reason not to do anything is a bit of a red herring.

Spot on fox, but we need to look further than the locality of Middlewood and Wadsley Bridge for relieving traffic congestion in the area. There are plans to downgrade Penistone Road to one lane by using the second lane as a bus lane.

How will this affect traffic in your area fox?

What the whole of Hillsborough needs is a proper by-pass enabling Penistone road to be down graded. This could be done by taking traffic from the Halifax Road/Penistone Road/Leppings lane/Herries Road roundabout along Herries Road to the junction with Herries Road South and then straight ahead to join with Club Mill Road which could easily be widened to exit at Neepsend putting it within spitting distance of the new inner ring road. This would create a secondary effect of opening the whole of this valley for commercial and industrial development making it a much better location for companies to work from

because the man on the street doesn't understand just that planning and development is a very complex and legally high bound topic

But it is the "man on the street" that has to make informed descicions on who they want to run the city. The only way we are able to do so, is through our own individual experiences/perceptions?

and why should he for that matter?

:rolleyes:

There are plans to downgrade Penistone Road to one lane by using the second lane as a bus lane.

I really hope this is a joke.

Penistone Rd is a nightmare at certain times of day already.

It was only widened about 25 years ago. Now they're going to revert it to a single lane. How forward thinking:rolleyes:

I really hope this is a joke.

Penistone Rd is a nightmare at certain times of day already.

It was only widened about 25 years ago. Now they're going to revert it to a single lane. How forward thinking:rolleyes:

No joke I'm afraid! The council want it as a 'Gold Route' in their public transport plan to speed up bus journey times to and from the city centre. This would mean traffic queueing up Halifax Road and along the new bridge link from Middlewood Road making the issue of a by-pass for the area more vital than ever!

Archived