Social Housing Applicants Must Reveal Their Nationality

But surely forcing people to put their nationality is a convienient way of discriminating. Someones nationality makes no difference in their housing needs.

I didn't misquote, the quote button is often faulty.

It's also a convenient way of having statistical evidence when councils are questioned about their housing policy.It's protection from being called racist or from being accused of favouring those born elsewhere.

But why does their nationality matter? Would you rather pay less tax and see families homeless? Housing is a basic need for everyone and the more immigration we have the better the UK becomes.

As an old guy on the telly used to say, "I just don't believe it."

Angel.

What about all the British who were not born in this country? i.e children of members of the armed forces who were serving overseas,and many others?

Children of armed forces personnel serving abroad have always been British and been issued with a British passport. My son was born in Germany, is British and has always had a British passport.

Children of armed forces personnel serving abroad have always been British and been issued with a British passport. My son was born in Germany, is British and has always had a British passport.

I'm British and didnt come to the UK until age 27. I had to be a resident of at least 3 years before I qualified for anything other than the NHS. These are the same rules applied to all immigrants from outside the EU.

But why does their nationality matter? Would you rather pay less tax and see families homeless? Housing is a basic need for everyone and the more immigration we have the better the UK becomes.

No those most in need of social housing should get prority, where they're born makes no difference.

:hihi: Hook, line, sinker, copy of angling times; you're reeling them in great here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/02/social-housing-applicants-nationality_n_2397133.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Is there any point in forcing people to reveal their nationality? Unless you're a racist then why does it matter? Whats wrong with just issuing social housing on peoples need regardless of their nationality?

Good idea, well done Migration Watch. Let's hope they implement it.

I'm British and didnt come to the UK until age 27. I had to be a resident of at least 3 years before I qualified for anything other than the NHS. These are the same rules applied to all immigrants from outside the EU.

Im pleased that you have said that as it may explain your hostility to british born people having the right to priority over those who wernt bore here.;)

America does have a benefits system - which includes social housing, health care and more. Its just so bare minimum its not worth bragging about, but it still doesnt stop xeonophobes from crowing about people from all over the world coming to the US to abuse it

I didn't say these countries didn't have benefit systems, I was saying they do not give these benefits immediately to immigrants. you have to pay into the system before you can get something out, that's why its called "insurance", not charity!

Archived