Advice needed on painting please

Applying a more matt finish over a silk one may cause crackling

Silk is a finish which is easier to clean

Matt gives a better finish on ceilings as satin shows any flaws up more

If you've for a mix of satin and matt for the walls, and want to use it up, consider mixing both together... but you'll need to mix it all thoroughly in one batch else it'll come out patchy

Never thought of that think will try mixing it hope dont get it patchy though

Do not use white oil based gloss for the woodwork as it will go yellow very quickly.

Use Johnstone's acrylic water-based satinwood or gloss over a waterbased undercoat and be prepared to apply at least two coats with a light sanding in between, pref. with wet'n dry.

You should be spending a whole day on preparation and 1-2 days on painting.

Do not use white oil based gloss for the woodwork as it will go yellow very quickly.

Use Johnstone's acrylic water-based satinwood or gloss over a waterbased undercoat and be prepared to apply at least two coats with a light sanding in between, pref. with wet'n dry.

You should be spending a whole day on preparation and 1-2 days on painting.

I beg to differ with using water based satin or gloss. I would treat any bare timber with knotting solution. Once dry 3-4 coats of acrylic primer finished with either 1 gloss top coat or 2 top coats of oil based satinwood.

I used water based gloss before at a customers request. Never again it was garbage and a good brand was used

Any advice will be appreciated im preparing a bedroom to paint ive stripped walls , filled and rubbed walls so ready to go .Im goin to do 2 coats first in white do i start with the ceiling then walls and last gloss the skirting boards.Also in the white i have matt and silk what do you reccomend for 2nd coat to the ceiling i usually use silk but someone said best to do ceiling in matt :help:

depends whether you like seeing your reflection on the ceiling whilst lying in bed. I'd go for smoked glass mirrors on the ceiling myself and magnolia woodchip on the walls - but that's just me. ;)

hope the paint don't react with the paste.we normally line the walls after stripping that way you get a much better finish.

as for silk paint cant remember last time i used that.its rubbish shows everything up.

---------- Post added 08-01-2013 at 23:02 ----------

I beg to differ with using water based satin or gloss. I would treat any bare timber with knotting solution. Once dry 3-4 coats of acrylic primer finished with either 1 gloss top coat or 2 top coats of oil based satinwood.

I used water based gloss before at a customers request. Never again it was garbage and a good brand was used

http://www.crowntrade.co.uk/Products/Essentials/Pages/NextGenerationPlusGloss.aspx

this is great gear to use.it goes on yellow then turns white.would recommend it to anyone.nice finish as well

Archived