Able people on benefits should help improve community surroundings..

Should people on benefits help maintain community surroundings?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should people on benefits help maintain community surroundings?

• Yes with training and tools provided by the council
    • No
    • Maybe
    • No - but if enforced, I will start looking for employement.

If the work needs doing then surely we should be paying people a wage to do it. So, if we do as you suggest we immediately have a cheap work force available for menial tasks. How long until we experience mission creep and these litter pickers are now cutting grass verges, or any number of other services the council should be providing anyway, and thus taking jobs from the market?

jb

Wouldn't it save the council money to have unemployed people doing it? Council tax could be reduced and everyone would be better off.

Except of course the people doing it and the others who have lost their jobs as a result of it. Why not just employ people currently on benefits to do it and cut the welfare bill that way?

jb

I agree with you to a certain degree, however from my observation of councils services, the posts have already been taken away, but the workload is still there. I am not in favour of a cheap labour force, however I think the initiative would encourage people to find jobs. I have come across people that are fully able and many generations of their family have never worked and have been on the social. If this is not the right initiative, something needs to be done to encourage certain people into employment.

If the work needs doing then surely we should be paying people a wage to do it. So, if we do as you suggest we immediately have a cheap work force available for menial tasks. How long until we experience mission creep and these litter pickers are now cutting grass verges, or any number of other services the council should be providing anyway, and thus taking jobs from the market?

jb

Its a tough one, but a genuine problem.

They could subsidise a system, where they still claim their benefits, but the council top up so it meets minimum wage, that way the council save money, the people on benefits get a 'job' and the government arent technically losing anything, just gaining nicer cleaning areas of the country.

Archived